Recent

Author Topic: Recompiling IDE  (Read 4843 times)

janvb

Recompiling IDE
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:56:20 pm »
First of all thanks for a nice project, I am really enjoying learning Lazarus/FPC.

I have worked with lazarus 1.2.4 a few days and notice a few features that makes it highly unstable. These are not bugs, more side-effects of compiling the IDE every time you load a Component.

What I will suggest is that we move the IDE config outside the IDE like they have done in Code Typhon. I would also like the code repository to allow me to select components and what version etc when I build.

As it is now I work on windows and selected gtk2 - IDE crashed and I had a hard time getting things back. This has happened a few times and it would be nice if the config was outside the IDE so you could avoid getting stuck like this.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:57:40 pm by janvb »

taazz

Re: IDE Stability
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:14 pm »
1) every time you rebuild the IDE a copy of the lazarus.exe is made in the same folder.
2) all the settings are in xml files in your AppSettings folder (in windows c:\users\<Logged in User>\AppData\Local\....)
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:56:04 pm »
What I will suggest is that we move the IDE config outside the IDE like they have done in Code Typhon.
Already. IDE config is stored in your user profile by default.
I would also like the code repository to allow me to select components and what version etc when I build.
What is "code repository" you are referring to?
As it is now I work on windows and selected gtk2 - IDE crashed and I had a hard time getting things back. This has happened a few times and it would be nice if the config was outside the IDE so you could avoid getting stuck like this.
Building the IDE doesn't require the IDE itself, you can always rebuild from command line. Simply `make clean all` to get the default IDE (basic packages only with default widgetset for your platform).

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:01:19 am »
Please report those serious stability issues in detail (shat you did, what you expected, what happened etc, see first link my signature).

Lazarus has been very stable for me and other users; if there are significant problems in the stable releas these should be fixed.

Of course, the components in question may be unstable so please mention those.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:40:06 am »
That's not reporting issues, that's chatting about crashes ;) (See first link in my signature)
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

janvb

Recompiling IDE
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »
That's not reporting issues, that's chatting about crashes ;) (See first link in my signature)

Actually the original title was a bad choise as I am not reporting a bug. I am suggesting that we consider an extra stand-alone utility to re-compile the IDE. As pointed out one already exist and Lazarus seams stable once you know how to revert from compiling a bad component or choice into the IDE.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:08:46 pm by janvb »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018