Recent

Author Topic: How to initialize gdb?  (Read 2675 times)

jrdoner

How to initialize gdb?
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:43:08 pm »
Hi,

I only discovered the Lazarus system last night, and it thrills me to find a high-level Pascal development package post-Delphi.  I began Fortran programming in 1962, and began using Delphi Pascal as soon as it was available,  continuing with it until I retired in 2000.   Then I got into personal hobby programming, but I was mostly forced to c and variants (yuck!) operating in the Arduino environment.  Considering what Delphi Pascal cost, I will certainly make a respectable contribution to this cause.

But I have one problem with the installation.  When I bring up the Lazarus IDE, I get a message that it can't find the debugger supposedly in /usr/bin/gdb.  I check the hard drive, and it is indeed there.  If I ignore, the IDE will come up.  Any help on how to smooth out this wrinkle will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John Doner

jrdoner

Re: How to initialize gdb?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:44:47 pm »
Forgot to mention:  I'm using MAC OS 10.9.3.

howardpc

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »
First check if the IDE debugger setting is correct. From the main menu:
Tools->Options
in the IDE Options dialog, scroll the left hand treeview down until you see the Debugger node and click on it.
In the "Debugger type and path" groupbox browse to the actual location of gdb in your setup and click OK when it is set correctly.
If that does not solve the problem, you'll have to come back...

rale

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:53:19 am »
Hello John!

Is Your problem solved?

Have You got the gdb files from Xcode 4?

I had the same trouble when Xcode 5 dropped support for gdb. See this thread. The best solution was found by pettiness, as You only have to copy two files. Hansaplast has uploaded them here  (need to register).

Good Luck.
Laz: Lazarus 1.2.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-darwin-carbon

TinyPortal © 2005-2018