Recent

Author Topic: Installing 1.2 error, "make" file not found  (Read 11654 times)

gagutman@uci.edu

Installing 1.2 error, "make" file not found
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:45 pm »
I'm trying to upgrade to 1.2 but get this error:

C:\lazarus\fpc\2.6.0\bin\i386-win32\make.exe
  Error: file not found

I tried uninstalling the older version first, also tried the "lazarus-1.2RC2" installer, always the same error.

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
Re: Installing 1.2 error, "make" file not found
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:53:07 pm »
C:\lazarus\fpc\2.6.0\bin\i386-win32\make.exe
Version 2.6.0 is pretty old. Also, why you want to install "release candidate" lazarus-1.2RC2 when Lazarus 1.2 final version is already out.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:24:59 pm »
This is simply old config that was not updated.

1.2 cones with fpc 2.6.2

make.exe is also in the 2.6.2 folder

gagutman@uci.edu

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:48:44 pm »
I'm not clear (being pretty naive in these matters!) on why Lazarus would look for FPC 2.6.0 when it comes with 2.6.2, but it apparently got confused by the presence of earlier installed versions. I removed all traces of both FPC and Lazarus that I could find and reinstalled Lazarus 1.2. It complained again about finding a make.exe file (I didn't save the complaint) but it resolved the problem by itself and is working fine now.  The reason I tried the "release candidate" (not having a clue what "RC" meant) was that I had seen a message pointing someone to this file over a "make" issue, and since the original version hadn't worked I gave it a shot. 

I'm back in business and much appreciate the clarifications.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:34 pm »
The path to make.exe (as well as fpc and other tools used) is stored in the user config.

Default on Windows   C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\lazarus
Default on linux  ~/.lazarus 

So, if you had Lazarus 1.0.6 or earlier before, then the path may still have pointed to 2.6.0, as those Versions came with 2.6.0

I am not sure, why the path was not upgraded. There may be a bug there...

Anyway, all you need to do is to go to Menu Tools > Options and change 2.6.0 to 2.6.2 in any of the path listed.

Or, you can, in the installer, check the option to delete your old config. But that deletes all your preferences, so I recommend to edit the path only.

-------
Also you may had other versions such as 1.0.14 (which has 2.6.2) installed after 1.0(.6).

They would have worked, if you installed, without uninstalling the old version. Because then both fpc would be present, as the old 2.6.0 is not overwritten.

--------
Lazarus 1.2.2 (to be released soon) upgrades fpc to 2.6.4

So if you upgrade, simply go to Menu Tools, Options, and look at the path for fpc, fpc source and make.
And make sure they contain 2.6.4
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:03:42 pm by Martin_fr »

gagutman@uci.edu

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »
There's nothing with the name "config" under AppData/Local, but there is a file called "environmentoptions.xml" which looks like what you describe.  The values for "CompilerFilename" and "MakeFilename" both point to 2.6.2, but each has a couple of "History" values pointing to 2.6.0.

Looking in Menu/Tools I found the "Compiler path" pointing to 2.6.2, but oddly the "Makefile path" pointed to 2.6.0, despite the fact that the folder no longer existed when I installed Lazarus.  (Maybe that was the source of the transient error I got on that install.)  Anyway, I changed the latter to 2.6.2, everything still works fine.

I just looked at a recent backup which should show conditions at the time I first tried loading Lazarus 1.2 (before I deleted any old versions of Lazarus or FP), and the
"environmentoptions.xml" file points everything to 2.6.0, as expected.  But the "make.exe" file is still in its expected location in the 2.6.0 folder, which is puzzling.  Was Lazarus really complaining about the file version being incorrect despite the "File not found" message?

Thanks.  I'm slowly learning this stuff...

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:25:09 pm »
Yes "environmentoptions.xml" is the file with the config.
But you can and should access it through Tools/Options.

I just test upgraded on my windows, and both compiler and make.exe were updated to the new version (given that the old folder was deleted)

So I am not sure why it did not automatically do this for you. It definitely should do it. (Note, if you keep the old folder, then it will not update).

Was Lazarus really complaining about the file version being incorrect despite the "File not found" message?

The file version of make is actually 2.8 or 2.8.2 or similar. (AFAIK make is from the mingw suite)

the 2.6.0 or 2.6.2 is the name of the folder/directory on your disk. It is the same as the fpc version. But when accessed as folder, it is just a name.

So the file   C:\lazarus\fpc\2.6.0\bin\i386-win32\make.exe  did indeed not exist.

As I said, I have no idea why the IDE did not search and find the make.exe in the 2.6.2 folder. Afaik it should have done that.

Anyway you know where to look now.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:28:57 pm »
Just a note:

While most times there is only a differentiation between Lazarus and FPC, both of he two come with tools from other sources (mostly mingw).

For fpc this are tools like make, ld (linker, as (external assembler), ... those tools are only used for special cases. Building a normal project does not need them.
There is also windres (the windows resource compiler)

Lazarus includes gdb from mingw, which is needed for debugging.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 12:15:09 pm »
Lazarus includes gdb from mingw, which is needed for debugging.

FPC contains that too. Lazarus just replaces it with its own prefered version :)

colwheel

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 05:21:51 pm »
Hi , I just tried to install Lazarus on Suse Leap from repository. The starting IDE is quite happy but missing the make file . I have searched but to no avail.
Perhaps somebody can help me please.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 07:17:03 pm »
Hi , I just tried to install Lazarus on Suse Leap from repository. The starting IDE is quite happy but missing the make file.
What exactly does not work?
Do you realize you replied to a 3+ year old post? Why?
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

colwheel

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:56:23 pm »
yes I know , it's only the wrong operating system thread , I should have done it in the Linux part of the forum.

When the IDE try's to start it misses the Make File , which I can't find . I don't know the path where it could be found , perhaps it is missing. Thats my problem.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 09:32:49 pm »
When the IDE try's to start it misses the Make File , which I can't find . I don't know the path where it could be found , perhaps it is missing.
That makes no sense at all. The IDE does not require any Make File to start.
I also don't believe you installed Lazarus 1.2 now.
I think you are a spammer. :(

colwheel

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »
Hi , thanks for your nice insinuation , but you are partly right it is version 1.6.2 .

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 02:02:12 pm »
Hi , thanks for your nice insinuation , but you are partly right it is version 1.6.2 .
You actually installed Lazarus!
Ok, sorry for my last remarks. The reality however is that some spammers' strategy here is to write semi-technical text, often replying to an old thread (for some reason). I don't know what is their ultimate goal with it.

Now I understand this is about "make" executable instead of a "make file".
You must install "make" using Suse's package system. IIRC the package name is also "make", or it starts with "make".

TinyPortal © 2005-2018