Forum > General

Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

(1/12) > >>

Paul Breneman:
http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page.  Feedback appreciated!

Leledumbo:
OK, that's cute :D

Paul Breneman:
Yes, there are now lots of inexpensive Android tablets so the next "phase" will be seeing how many interesting things people come up with.  I really want to load Debian on them and completely get rid of Android, but right now this isn't very easy (Ubuntu is probably a little easier).  LinuxOnAndroid.org is also interesting.  All of those options require rooting the device which I want to avoid as long as possible.  So GNURoot (which doesn't require rooting) is an interesting first step to try.

GNURoot may not allow x11 to work, and I'm also concerned that communication (USB-serial, bluetooth, wifi) won't work.  But I'm still testing.  If any communication works then I guess I could try "Free Vision".   :)  My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single console program (for machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).  A GUI is not required.

Paul Breneman:
The Free Vision testapp example seems to work for the keyboard, but the mouse doesn't (yet) work.  Maybe non-root Android apps will be a good reason to keep improving Free Vision?   :)

Since wget does work in the GNURoot terminal it seems communication should work.

So things still look interesting for doing machine control!   :)

Paul Breneman:
Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI instead!  :)

GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added - it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for Ethernet and Serial)!

http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version