Recent

Author Topic: Bundling Indy with Lazarus  (Read 26692 times)

Cyrax

Re: Bundling Indy with Lazarus
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »
Packages must be also in IDE for design-time. Component palette configuration does not help for that.

Somehow Delphi doesn't have issue with that. Dynamic linking, anyone?

Delphi supports dynamic packages, FPC does not (yet).

Rave

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 07:15:18 pm »
It's not FPC's goal to support dynamic packages, it's Lazarus'. FPC is just a compiler. It has to compile, support for LPKs is not needed here. However Lazarus should develop some way of dynamic package loading (if compiled). Perhaps even steal some coders from Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero/whatever company makes Delphi now.

Cyrax

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 07:29:03 pm »
Lazarus is just RAD IDE, not a compiler. Dynamic package is just specialized dynamic library and FPC needs to be modified in order to add support for it.

Maybe in future when support for creating dynamic package is added to FPC, we may convert whole compiler into dynamic library and then embed it into Lazarus.

taazz

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 07:46:48 pm »
Lazarus is just RAD IDE, not a compiler. Dynamic package is just specialized dynamic library and FPC needs to be modified in order to add support for it.
that would be awesome, yes! Being able to use dynamic packages even as limited as the delphi ones is a plus.

Maybe in future when support for creating dynamic package is added to FPC, we may convert whole compiler into dynamic library and then embed it into Lazarus.

I don't see the link between the dynamic packages and converting the compiler to a dll for use in lazarus. there is nothing you will gain from a dynamic package instead of a dll for the compiler conversion from exe to dll.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 02:41:06 am »
However Lazarus should develop some way of dynamic package loading (if compiled). Perhaps even steal some coders from Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero/whatever company makes Delphi now.
Nah, those coders only know Windows, well maybe a little Mac OS X. This feature requires great understanding of dynamic linking in the target platform and the compiler itself.

taazz

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 02:47:35 am »
Nah, those coders only know Windows, well maybe a little Mac OS X. This feature requires great understanding of dynamic linking in the target platform and the compiler itself.

those coders made kylix with package support on linux amongst other things, you don't really think that they do not understand dynamic linking on linux do you? In my book MACOS uses the same dynamic linking as linux so they have a very good understanding of it.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 03:01:53 am »
those coders made kylix with package support on linux amongst other things, you don't really think that they do not understand dynamic linking on linux do you? In my book MACOS uses the same dynamic linking as linux so they have a very good understanding of it.
Kylix IDE is written in Windows API, they run it through wine. So they use the same code as the Delphi IDE.

taazz

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:06 am »
Kylix IDE is written in Windows API, they run it through wine. So they use the same code as the Delphi IDE.

Lets assume that what you say is true, no questions asked. where the programs compiled with kylix also use wine? As far as I remember I could compile my programs using run time packages if required.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018