Recent

Author Topic: How long is this piece of string?  (Read 3713 times)

dalcymru

How long is this piece of string?
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:24 am »
Would some kind soul care to guesstimate to help a rank amateur, in how many months/days/years from now we could reasonably look forward to being enabled to instal, design with, compile with and use Lazarus in Android in the same sort of straightforward way we can do using Windows?  Too simplistic a question?  Various tidbits scattered around the internet point to a lot of work being done by hero volunteers and expert hackers but I can see no informed opinion on this point.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: How long is this piece of string?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:45:40 am »
Would some kind soul care to guesstimate to help a rank amateur, in how many months/days/years from now we could reasonably look forward to being enabled to instal, design with, compile with and use Lazarus in Android in the same sort of straightforward way we can do using Windows?
Not in the near future, custom drawn is far from complete, only some basic controls available. But you can share code between other LCL supported platforms. FPC JVM is quite complete and you can also add support for newer API, but the code won't be easily sharable and you must code everything by yourself, no form designer whatsoever. AndroidModule is somewhat similar, you can use the form designer to write non-visual controls behavior, the code is still not sharable. For all, installation won't be easy because we don't ship SDK/NDK which is the requirement for writing Android app (I don't know the license and no maintainer to create such a distribution).

dalcymru

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:29:52 pm »
Thank you for that helpful insight.  Sigh!  I'll just have to wait. 

After 40 and more years, starting late, through Basic, Forth and ASM, slowly coming to grips with self-taught learning Delphi and Lazarus, and being now more or less wedded to Windows, I'm growing a bit pessimistic about how much longer Windows will continue development on desktops.  So, I've been dabbling a bit reluctantly with the complicated necromancy and jargon of Linux because I feel I'm almost being forced to, having been brainwashed a bit by Arduino and RaspberryPi, but I suspect the Empire of Google may eventually triumph and so my TV and a workshop display now have Android dongles attached, via HDMI, for which I'm developing an itch to do a bit more than click a mouse or learn more esoteric languages.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 05:44:13 pm »
Sigh!  I'll just have to wait. 

Either wait or improve the code yourself. This is an open source project.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018