Recent

Author Topic: Announcment: RC2 for the upcoming Version 1.2.  (Read 117452 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Announcment: RC2 for the upcoming Version 1.2.
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »
The Lazarus team would like to announce the second Release Candidate for the upcoming Version 1.2.

We invite all users to test this Release Candidate.
Please read here why everybody really should join the testing now.

News in this Version
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.2.0_release_notes

On Windows the installer now allows 2 independent installations.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#Installation_of_multiple_Lazarus

About the release process:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.2_fixes_branch#Roadmap_to_1.2

The 1.2.0RC2 is built with fpc 2.6.2.

The release is available for download on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

Choose your CPU, OS, distro and then the "Lazarus 1.2RC2" directory.

Minimum requirements:
Windows:       98, 2k, XP, Vista, 7, 32 or 64bit
FreeBSD/Linux: gtk 2.8 or qt4.5, 32 or 64bit
Mac OS X:      10.5 to 10.8, LCL on carbon only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit

== Why should everybody (including you) test the release candidate? ==

It the past months the Lazarus team has stabilized the 1.2 fixes branch. The resulting 1.2RC2 is now stable enough to be used by any one for test purposes.

However many of the fixes and new features that were committed since the release of 1.0 required changes to the code of existing features too. While we have tested those ourself, there may still be problems that only occur with very specific configurations or one project in a million.

Yes, it may be that you are the only person with a project, that will not work in the new IDE. So if you do not test, we can not fix it.

Please do not wait for the final release, in order to test. It may be too late. Once the release is out we will have to be more selective about which fixes can be merged for further 1.2.x releases. So it may be, that we can not merge the fix you require. And then you will miss out on all the new features.

== How to test ==

Download and install the 1.2RC2.
- On Windows you can install as a 2ndary install, that will not affect your current install:
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#Installation_of_multiple_Lazarus
- On other platforms, if you install to a new location you need to use --primary-configpath

In either case you should make backups. (including your primary config)

Open your project in the current Lazarus (1.0.14), and use "Publish Project" from the project menu. This creates a clean copy of your project.

You can then open that copy in the RC2. Please test:
- Can you edit forms in the designer
   - rename components / change properties in Object inspector / Add new events
   - Add components to form / Move components on form
   - Frames, if you use them
- Can you navigate the source code (e.g. jump to implementation)
- Auto completion in source code
- Compile, debug and run
- Anything else you use in your daily work

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
Re: Announcment: RC2 for the upcoming Version 1.2.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:02:00 pm »
Download and install the 1.2RC2.
- On Windows you can install as a 2ndary install, that will not affect your current install:
Windows 7 x64; tried x86 Laz.
Used installer to uninstall existing Lazarus 1.0.14, manually removed some leftover files, continued.
Didn't chose 2ndary install.

Open your project in the current Lazarus (1.0.14), and use "Publish Project" from the project menu. This creates a clean copy of your project.
Was stubborn/lazy and did not bother publishing project (IIRC lately opened with Laz trunk anyway)

You can then open that copy in the RC2. Please test:
- Can you edit forms in the designer
   - rename components / change properties in Object inspector / Add new events
   - Add components to form / Move components on form
Tested, works.

- Can you navigate the source code (e.g. jump to implementation)
- Auto completion in source code
- Compile, debug and run
Yes.

- Anything else you use in your daily work
Switching build modes works (as I had expected ;) )

Thanks.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:19 pm »
Windows 7 x64; tried x86 Laz.
Used installer to uninstall existing Lazarus 1.0.14, manually removed some leftover files, continued.

left overs are currently normal. The installer only removes what it installed. ppu and o files created by building packages that where installed as pas only leads to leftovers.

BigChimp

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:30:45 pm »
Yep. I'm not complaining ;) - suppose you actually had something worthwile (projects etc that you had created yourself). It's like the way most installers work.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

AurelienD

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:40 pm »
Hi, my OS is Windows 8.1.
i installed Lazarus 1.2 rc 2 + cross compile Win64
i noticed something on Lazarus 1.2 rc1 & rc2 which did not occur with Lazarus 1.0.14
dialog boxes are very slow
i tried TSelectDirectoryDialog in some code source, and encountered the same behavior with Help menu / Help item / File ... Open
then the windows is very slow to answer.

Reported on Mantis : http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=25529
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:31:20 pm by AurelienD »

eny

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:39 pm »
Windows 7 x64: Lazarus 32-bit.
Installation:
- selecting a custom installation path erroneously adds 'lazarus' to the selected path;
- when ticking the box 'Create a new secondary installation' an invalid pop up msg appears complaining that the folder is not empty, and the installation cannot continue;
- when unticking the box above, the warning screen that a 2nd installation exists is skipped for no apparent reason (it should still pop up);
- 'Delete all user configuration files from previous installs' is an incomprehensible message - details missing about what supposedly will be deleted;
- progress screen during installation: FAQ url http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq cannot be clicked (well it can, but nothing happens).

After installation:
- the components window doesn't not honor a taskbar positioned at the left side of the screen.
The object inspector does, but it's way too small and needs resizing.
- panel for editing build modes has become less usable (hidden under a button/pop up).
- Virtual Treeview is broken again (not so much a Lazarus/FPC problem, but a nuisance nevertheless).

Rebuiling the IDE, installing some components: smooth.
Compiling and running some programs (including debugging and heaptrc) looks ok.
Cannot test any other bigger program unfortunately because of the broken VTV.

All in all a smooth start so far, except for the fact that VTV is now unusable.
Guess it's time for a new and more compatible (V)TV. Also because it doesn't work on x64.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:08:02 pm by eny »
All posts based on: Win10 (Win64); Lazarus 2.0.10 'stable' (x64) unless specified otherwise...

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »
Windows 7 x64: Lazarus 32-bit.
Installation:
- selecting a custom installation path erroneously adds 'lazarus' to the selected path;
Yes, always been like that (iirc). Need to dive into the inno docs again to change that. / no priority / patch welcome (ONE issue per patch)

- when ticking the box 'Create a new secondary installation' an invalid pop up msg appears complaining that the folder is not empty, and the installation cannot continue;
More details please, I can not reproduce.

- when unticking the box above, the warning screen that a 2nd installation exists is skipped for no apparent reason (it should still pop up);
Indeed, reproduced, if (and only if), next was clicked with the checkbox, (for me back, since I did not get an error preventing going on), and then change checkbox.

- 'Delete all user configuration files from previous installs' is an incomprehensible message - details missing about what supposedly will be deleted;
IIRC inno does only accept one line per checkbox. That would need to be hacked via pascal script (done on other pages already). Again this falls under someday, or patch welcome.
Also to me that is not unclear, other installers have similar opts. Many apps store config, and keep it on the system even if uninstalled .

- progress screen during installation: FAQ url http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq cannot be clicked (well it can, but nothing happens).
It is a memo. So yes. We use inno installer. All modifications are done at runtime via pascal script. I am not sure, if the required system calls to make it a link, are even available.

--
All other issues via mantis please

chenyuchih

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 07:59:38 am »
Wow..... I am expecting the coming of 1.2 formal release... ::)

swierzbicki

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 11:10:30 am »
Hello,

I've have an issue under the IDE where controls are not correctly sized !
I can reproduce this issue.

I've have already opened a bug with a test case :
http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=25530
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:12:24 am by swierzbicki »
Lazarus 1.6.2
fpc 3.0.0
wince/win32/win64
delphi berlin

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:18 pm »
- panel for editing build modes has become less usable (hidden under a button/pop up).

The idea was to make it MORE usable and intuitive. The GUI is now visually above the options GUI pages, thus indicating it has effect on them. Earlier it was at the same level with other options, there was no indication of which options the mode affected.
The button and pop up window make it visually separate from the actual options. Did you notice the window has a button for creating "Debug" and "Release" modes?
Typically you don't add more build modes during every session. Instead you add the needed modes once and then select them many times later. The selection is now easier than before. There is a combobox above compiler options and it stays visible whatever options tab you select. Nice, ha!
You can still select a mode from the main IDE window, too.
Please remember also that in the build mode window you can only add and remove modes and change their names. You change the actual compiler options under the selected mode using the normal options tabs.

This is a matter of opinion of course but I wonder why you find it less usable. (?)
What do others think?

- Virtual Treeview is broken again (not so much a Lazarus/FPC problem, but a nuisance nevertheless).

Do you know which LCL change broke VTV?
How actively is VTV maintained now?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:14:30 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

BigChimp

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 06:00:15 pm »
What do others think?
IMO it's definitely more usable now.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 06:12:57 pm »
IMHO ok,
But the toolbutton on the main ide bar (quick build mode selector / in front of run button) should always be visible.
Now it is hidden, if a project has no build mode. This means: changing project may lead to all buttons moving, and clicking the wrong button by accident.
Also it is useful, to access the options and create build modes, even if none is defined yet.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 08:08:16 pm »
But the toolbutton on the main ide bar (quick build mode selector / in front of run button) should always be visible.
Now it is hidden, if a project has no build mode. This means: changing project may lead to all buttons moving, and clicking the wrong button by accident.

It could be made visible in future, yes. The current behavior is for hiding build modes for people who don't like to use them.
This is a compromise. Many other people wanted to have predefined modes always defined.
Now "Debug" and "Release" are easy to define for those who need them but all build mode related stuff is hidden for those who don't like them.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:24:01 pm »
Well, the button (without dropdown) just gets you to the normal project options. No build mode there.

The dropdown is only of use, if there are buildmodes to choose from.
However, if the dropdown is hidden the space must still be used somehow.

Currently, I switch projects (e.g. to a testcase) and the project I open has buildmodes, where as the other one has not, then instead of running it I end up in the options each time. Major annoyance.

This is when I click, I still see the green start button in position. But when he IDE handles the click, it has moved it....

eny

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:06:31 pm »
Thx for the feedback.
Couple of quick responses.

More details please, I can not reproduce.
This happens when you create the installation folder beforehand and already create a new folder inside (I admit, not something everybody would do). I choose to create a new folder and already copied some custom packages in there so I could include them easily. Seems that ticked off the tick box :)

IIRC inno does only accept one line per checkbox. That would need to be hacked via pascal script (done on other pages already). Again this falls under someday, or patch welcome.
Also to me that is not unclear, other installers have similar opts. Many apps store config, and keep it on the system even if uninstalled .
I agree it is a well known option to delete all traces of a program during uninstallation.
However I have a couple of Lazarus versions on my PC. Will it delete/uninstall all versions and all config folders (individually set with the pcp option)? That's what makes it scary to choose this option.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, Lazarus does not misbehave by adding to the DLL hell like many other (windows) programs do. So I can simply uninstall a Lazarus version by deleting the installation folder and config path. The one shortcut I have in my quick launch bar can be easily deleted as well.

It is a memo. So yes. We use inno installer. All modifications are done at runtime via pascal script. I am not sure, if the required system calls to make it a link, are even available.
I know it is.
But it would be cool/look professional if it actually were a hyperlink.

Do you know which LCL change broke VTV?
How actively is VTV maintained now?
To be honest I think it was already broken in one of the earlier updates (it was working with version 1.0.4).
Whether VTV is still actively maintained I don't know. But it is one of the more impressive components out there and I use it quite often.
All posts based on: Win10 (Win64); Lazarus 2.0.10 'stable' (x64) unless specified otherwise...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018