Recent

Author Topic: How much money you've earned till now using Lazarus  (Read 31010 times)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: How much money you've earned till now using Lazarus
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 10:56:56 am »
All i can say is that Lazarus has been an essential tool for my income for years now and that my income is on par with Dutch "standards" for a senior developer (> 40k € per year).
It should be around 5000 to 6800 euro a month + 13th (sometimes 14) month + Holiday allowance at 8% over 12 months according to most calculators. If you work as self-employed add - at least - 25 -30% for pension scheme, health insurance (as in: what happens if you can not finish a job, not the normal health insurance) and social security. People tend to forget that.  So you should allow for a minimum hourly tariff of around 50 euro given 220 working days a year. Currently I am closer to 120, but that's not programming but consultancy. And I don't work 220 days, but max 60 due to health issues.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:59:08 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 01:05:56 pm »
I have never done large projects in fpc/Lazarus. Some in Delphi. When I do have a job, I'm mostly programming in C++/Java/C# and informal project lead.

I use Lazatus/fpc for demos, tools and small servers. Things that are not major projects and should be done in a few days or so.

I don't have any formal higher education, so getting a job is hard, and it pays on average ~2600 Euro a month. My co-workers, who do have the education can get jobs easily and they earn much more money, but most of them cannot design or write a decent program.

In a few months I'm out of a job again and I'll start a Lazarus project to see if I can make money with it.

Thaddy

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 01:26:11 pm »
It is region dependent. My quotes are accurate for the Dutch market only (and some years in London and Miami). But they are accurate. And it is an average over 30+ experience.
Nobody works for 2600 full-time, be it dollars or euros or pounds, in the regions I mentioned. With the education I mentioned.

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 02:36:46 pm »
You know I live in the Netherlans, so...

Yes, education.

Thaddy

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:36 pm »
No, that's not all. But I am sure the figures I mentioned are correct.
It is also the basis on how I would hire, experience and some proven knowledge.
Note you have to know a helluvalot more - than just being able to screen draw - when you go professional.... And if I were you: if you are developing in Object Pascal I would demand a raise. A considerable raise.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:23:38 pm by Thaddy »

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 04:08:35 pm »
And if I were you: if you are developing in Object Pascal I would demand a raise. A considerable raise.
Well, they hired some young, C# ASP.NET guys and they fire me. Those new people have been working on selecting the right graph component for the last three months. Those are very slow in WPF when you use a MVVM. And they really don't get it.

I could have written a whole graph library in that time. But I was only hired to keep the ancient C++ app alive for one more year. They expect the new software to be ready in a few more months.

Those new guys have no idea what I'm talking about. But the managers understand them better.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:52:34 pm by SymbolicFrank »

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 09:41:30 pm »
Those guys were appalled by the slow speed (around seconds-per-frame territory) with WPF, so they switched again, this time back to plain Windows Forms. And, of course, the first thing they did was design / set up yet another complex view model model, this time MVP.

I wonder how long it takes them to realize that they are yet again in SPF territory, and how they will react this time. And if they finally get it.

I did tell them a few times, and dropped lots of hints. That's the main reason I have to go: the new IT manager told me that I shouldn't be so negative and sarcastic.  :o

And as the completion of the above project "won't take long", they are rushing to get me to finish the fixes to the old project, so they can release it and be done with it. And me.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2017, 09:54:28 pm »
I earned USD 12 with donations on Patreon =)

I do mostly open source software with Lazarus. And also some assistance to paid apps (controls and high dpi), I earned some more but not USD, money from my country (ARS).

I'm relatively a new programmer in terms of "working" with it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:59:50 pm by lainz »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018