Recent

Author Topic: How much money you've earned till now using Lazarus  (Read 31001 times)

felipemdc

• Administrator
Re: How much money you've earned till now using Lazarus
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:12:21 pm »
400 € on which I had to pay 10000€ tax, because Germany has flat rate social insurance fees for freelancers, almost independent of your actual income. It's an absolutely horrible country

wow, that's outrageous. And I thought that taxes here in Poland were high...

In Poland a sole-freelancer also has to pay a flat rate of 1200zl (300 euros) per month for social security + income tax (aprox. 15%), but if you already have a job then you only need to pay income tax of the freelancer work and no social security for it (since you already pay social security from the main job). Isnt it the same in Germany? Do you have a main job?

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 12:39:02 am »
In Poland a sole-freelancer also has to pay a flat rate of 1200zl (300 euros) per month for social security + income tax (aprox. 15%), but if you already have a job then you only need to pay income tax of the freelancer work and no social security for it (since you already pay social security from the main job). Isnt it the same in Germany?

That is pretty much the same.

Just somewhat higher and not including pensions.

Do you have a main job?

I did not

That was the problem

Nitorami

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 01:53:40 am »
@BeniBela
Not sure what you are talking about as during my time as freelancer (in germany ! not working as programmer though) I had to pay a small fee for my health insurance, and tax every three months in advance. It was calculated on the basis of the last year's total income, and if I had no income, I could claim tax refund at the end of the year. But that was 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:56:33 am by Nitorami »

ssliackus

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »
I like that question, it indicates the value language/tools and perspectives.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 01:11:48 pm »
I did not earn any noticeable money with Lazarus but I am quite financially independent because of Delphi related work. (I am almost 59 and pension is in place, that kind of stuff)
I did and do in the future on occasion work in FreePascal, though. Most of it is server based D6/7 originally.
My rate is depending on the project, but since it is not my  main income it is taxed at 52%,because my main income is in the 52% tax range in the Netherlands. And VAT is separate, but worked out differently.
But a tool does not pay you. It is knowledge and working ethics that pays you. In my case mostly banking software.
Often I am just payed for design, review or business consultancy and that is not tied to a tool like Lazarus.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:18:55 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

MISV

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 11:03:37 am »
If you are selling existing Delphi tools for Windows, Lazarus/LCL is the fastest way to reach Mac in many ways instead of converting to FireMonkey (i.e. VCL more compatible with LCL than FireMonkey - at least that was my conclusion some years ago - I know FireMonkey since improved with TImageList etc. but even so)

turrican

• Pascal is my life.
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 11:46:40 am »
Most our company DevOps toolset is did in ObjectPascal & C#. At lest I can maintain my job.

At my personal case, I am doing videogames and other things (most on github at free). My next step is to do comercial apps (Games).

Thaddy

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 12:02:20 pm »
Just for fun I calculated my total taxable income based on average over 30 years in US$ in which any form of Object Pascal is involved, which makes around $2.560.000,- which is euro 2.170.227,-
That excludes CTO jobs and consultancy. I am happy. The average is $80.000,- a year which is on par for an experienced programmer (project lead) with a (in fact multiple) University degree..

It should actually be a bit lower, it is not an exact science, before we lost the guilder it averages at 88.000 guilders, which is just about $40.000,-
Also note that in the Netherlands pension schemes are not calculated towards your income: for tax purposes tax on pensions is deferred to pension date.
So actually it should be much higher... :D since I have that huge bounty that I get when I am 67.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:16:14 pm by Thaddy »

turrican

• Pascal is my life.
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »
Just for fun I calculated my total taxable income based on average over 30 years in US$ in which any form of Object Pascal is involved, which makes around $2.560.000,- which is euro 2.170.227,-
That excludes CTO jobs and consultancy. I am happy. The average is $80.000,- a year which is on par for an experienced programmer (project lead) with a (in fact multiple) University degree..

It should actually be a bit lower, it is not an exact science, before we lost the guilder it averages at 88.000 guilders, which is just about $40.000,-
Also note that in the Netherlands pension schemes are not calculated towards your income: for tax purposes tax on pensions is deferred to pension date.
So actually it should be much higher... :D since I have that huge bounty that I get when I am 67.

That's awesome  :) How old are you? If I can ask you this question

Thaddy

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 05:05:01 pm »
Too old?  59.90

jbmckim

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »
Excellent Thaddy.  We are about the same age.  My attention span is apparently shorter.  My background does include pascal (I worked in it when it was the HP3000 system language) but also includes Basic, Fortran, c, c++, VB.Net and C# - I will also confess to an Excel project here and there and I may...just may...have written some documentation from time to time.  I was a manager for awhile as well but I try not to admit that in public.  I suppose that lack of focus is why I ask so many questions and why I count on people like you to answer them and am grateful that you do. Congratulations and thank you for contributing to my being able to keep the last shreds of mental health I have left.  ;)

Bram71

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 07:04:21 pm »
I can't give exact figures because i mostly supply complete software + hardware solutions.

I'm self employed since 92 and have always used Delphi till D7 after witch i switched to Lazarus around 2010. Software only projects i did include Point of sale, Rental and accounting software.

All i can say is that Lazarus has been an essential tool for my income for years now and that my income is on par with Dutch "standards" for a senior developer (> 40k € per year).

Suddenly feeling guilty now not having donated (yet)....  :-[

scons

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 11:30:41 pm »
Not exactly on topic but maybe it could be interesting for those who develop new things, convert delphi to Lazarus things, or maintain things to offer their services on Patreon too to earn a $. Just a thought.
Windows 10-64bit Lazarus 2.0.12 + FPC 3.2.0

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 11:40:10 pm »
Not exactly on topic but maybe it could be interesting for those who develop new things, convert delphi to Lazarus things, or maintain things to offer their services on Patreon too to earn a $. Just a thought.

Good idea. I'm making a new set of controls, but maybe instead of making something new slowly... keep updating BGRAControls that is already good, adding new features and fixes, and maybe some people likes that and want to contribute instead of buying a new set of controls...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:46:07 pm by lainz »

scons

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 10:28:27 am »
@ lainz
If you think about it, the bounty system is a good idea, for sure, but sometimes newer Lazarus users, or younger people do not have a big budget to spend, but if there is a possibilty to share costs, it might be doable for them. Plus the Patreon system does allow you to do a 1 time donation or a subscription which you can stop at any time. The main goal of the system is to create an ongoing funding for creators. You can do even things like: when this amount of donations is reached, I will create ...

There are many things I can think of, just a few examples:

For example, you would like $100 for your new set of controls, which might be too much for a certain user to spend to develop.
But if there are 15 users who have interest, that is $6.7/person which makes the treshold to get on board a lot more interesting. Or if the user could spend this amount, he can now split it over several projects ... which is a good thing too of course.

• Your new controls : great idea
  • LAMW : apps for mobile devices are hot at the moment
  • Social Media : connection with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, ...
  • Online storage : MS OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive, Gmail, ...
  • Wiki : update, maintain, improve the Lazarus Wiki
  • Lazarus examples : maintain and update the examples included with Lazarus

Of course these are just a few examples, and some (most) of these things already exist, but can be outdated, or will be at some point.
Now the Lazarus system is maintained by volunteers, which is great and they do a massive job (kudos to the team), but who says they and/or other people who are clever enough to do the things mentioned above would be harmed to get a little sponsoring for that ?

On the other hand, this might (and I say this carfully) take some developping work out of the hand of other main developpers so they get more time to do other things ...

It would be good for Lazarus in general too. The main goal of Lazarus should be maintained of course.
Windows 10-64bit Lazarus 2.0.12 + FPC 3.2.0

TinyPortal © 2005-2018