Recent

Author Topic: Anyone else using FortesReports?  (Read 14465 times)

grandehombre

Anyone else using FortesReports?
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:08:28 am »
I can see a child board for LazRepors but not for FortesReports.
Is there anyone else using FortesReports? ( I know there are some other users, just not whether it is just 2 guys or 20 or 200 guys)

It took me a while but I have managed to get my head around it and it now does (almost) everything I need.
I have made some tweaks to it and would like to share them. I don't feel comfortable uploading them to the actual source repository.
I have tested them for what I need and they work for me.
They mostly relate to formatting of db fields.

Some of the issues I've come across are:
- If you have multiple reports and use filters in each of them, each subsequent report shows a cumulative list of filters in the dropdown. I could not find an easy way to fix this.

- If I want to have a report show detail data along with summaries at the end of each 'break', all is well. But if then want to use the same report as a 'summary' report and simply hide the details, I get nothing but zeroes in the summary blocks.

- The PDF exporter generates enormous files.

- I have instances where nested groups did not break correctly.
If group1 was to break on Region, group 2 on Country and group 3 on State, for the reports that did not break correctly, I had to define the groups as 'Region',  'Region + Country', 'Region + Country + State'

There are other little bits and pieces as well but I am only checking to see how many others are using FR.
(Thus, no sample projects etc... If there are enough others and there is enough interest in this, we can then organise something)

If you are reading this and are using FR, please leave a comment.

Lazarus v1.2RC2  i386-win32-win32/win64,  FPC v2.6.2, svn43696 on Win7-64 and win8.1

patyi

Re: Anyone else using FortesReports?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:53:11 am »
Hi !

I'm a big fan of FortesReport !  :D

I come from Delphi word for years a go and FortesReport is so close of philosophy to Delpi's QuickReport.
Almost 80-90% of QuickReport I can convert from Delphi to Lazarus, the rest is minor differences with manual work.
FortesReport is so good that I don't even thinking about LazReport ! Of course I try it, made some reports on, but
coding in LazReport in my opinion is not pascalish, strange for me !
FortesReport fit much better in general into application's code, locks like the integrated part of cod while LazReport is
like some kind of external script.  O:-)

In nested groups You use :  'Region',  'Region + Country', 'Region + Country + State'
Instead use in DataFields property : 'Region',  'Region;Country', 'Region;Country;State' with proper indexes it works for me perfectly !

Sorry for my English ...  :D    Best regards, Patyi Tibor   

grandehombre

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:31:06 am »
Thank you Patyi!
Lazarus v1.2RC2  i386-win32-win32/win64,  FPC v2.6.2, svn43696 on Win7-64 and win8.1

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:15:19 pm »
I too use FortesReport a lot.
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

LacaK

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »
Can FortestReport be used with Lazarus ?
(looking at http://fortesreport.com.br/?page_id=25 I see there only Delphi versions)

How much code adds to EXE FortestReport comparing to Delphis QuickReport ?

Is there convertor from QuickReports to FortestReport format ?

Can be reports sotored in external files or are part of DFM as Quick Reports ?

taazz

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:45:46 pm »
first link on that page is the report's sourceforge page and the 1st link on the recommended projects on the right is the port for lazarus ee http://sourceforge.net/projects/fortes4lazarus of course you should be aware that those components are GPL pased which means that our application must be gpl as well so its no very useful for the rest of us.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

hinst

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:55:26 pm »
I heard that FortresReports does not support Unicode so it is also mostly useless for ppl who want (or maybe have to?) to support texts in languages other than English
Too late to escape fate

taazz

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:01:33 pm »
Unicode helps to support multiple languages from a single interface while ansi can support at most 2 languages at the same time, this usually means that your application will always support the country's local language and english making able to support all the languages in the world just not on the same installation and at the same time. Two languages can take you far.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

LacaK

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:42:34 am »
first link on that page is the report's sourceforge page and the 1st link on the recommended projects on the right is the port for lazarus ee http://sourceforge.net/projects/fortes4lazarus of course you should be aware that those components are GPL pased which means that our application must be gpl as well so its no very useful for the rest of us.
Thanks, byt on above mentioned link there is:
License
GNU Library or Lesser General Public License version 2.0 (LGPLv2)

So not GPL, but LGPL ?

taazz

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:40:32 am »
In the original component's sourceforge site they do not mentioned lgpl at all. Now LGPL requires a non static use ee the component must come in a dll/SO and they demand that the end user can replace the components with an other version and your application keeps working. Any component used on form under lgpl forces your application to become (l)gpl it self. That is the reason that LCL has the "static exception" clause added. Sorry but gpl/lgpl makes no sense for components unless you are writting a gpl application.

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 08:42:58 am »
I heard that FortresReports does not support Unicode so it is also mostly useless for ppl who want (or maybe have to?) to support texts in languages other than English

Not true. Fortes4Lazarus works with UTF8.

So not GPL, but LGPL ?

I have just taken a look at file "LICENSE.txt", which is distributed with Fortes4Lazarus and I see that it is actually modified LGPL, like LCL.

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:50 am »
That is the reason that LCL has the "static exception" clause added. Sorry but gpl/lgpl makes no sense for components unless you are writting a gpl application.
There is special exception too, see: http://sourceforge.net/p/fortes4lazarus/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/LICENSE.txt

grandehombre

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 02:14:55 am »
Thanks to everyone for answering!

perell

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 08:57:34 pm »
"Almost 80-90% of QuickReport I can convert from Delphi to Lazarus, the rest is minor differences with manual work".
how do you do this conversion?

hoyosfelix

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:57 pm »
Hello patyi.

Can you please give me some tips about creating a nested report in FortesReport like this:

Region
       Country
         State

I wanto to know how to place the bandS in the report and how to group the fields.

Thanks in advance.

hoyosfelix

TinyPortal © 2005-2018