Author Topic: IntelliJ IDEA + Pascal  (Read 33920 times)

argb32

• Pascal IDE based on IntelliJ platform
Re: IntelliJ IDEA + Pascal
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2017, 12:14:31 am »
Released version 1.2 with basic debugging support.
Breakpoints, run to cursor, step over/into/out etc. As well as local variables view.
GDB is required and debug information need to be included in executable (-gw option).
Tested in Linux.

Thaddy

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2017, 10:47:56 am »
Very nicely done, but IntelliJ seems not suitable to run on an averagely specified laptop so I uninstalled it from my laptop again (2 cores, 6 GB RAM). It is more than dead slow.
Strange, because other Java based editors - Eclipse(which is my default for Java)  and NetBeans - work at speed on the same laptop. No lagging.
I'll keep it on my desktop though, that one is over-specified. Note installation of your plugin worked like a breeze on both occasions.
What are the realistic hardware requirements for IntelliJ in your opinion? You don't really mean that you need i7, 8 virtual cores and 32 GB RAM - my desktop - for this to work?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:56:52 am by Thaddy »

Bostjan

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2017, 11:45:42 am »
For me it works nice in a VM with 2vCPU and 6GB of RAM.

Host OS Windows 10, guest OS Windows 7 and vmware workstation 12.5 for virtualization.

argb32

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2017, 09:00:07 pm »
What are the realistic hardware requirements for IntelliJ in your opinion? You don't really mean that you need i7, 8 virtual cores and 32 GB RAM - my desktop - for this to work?

By default, IDEA limited to 750MB of heap (-Xmx option in idea64.vmoptions) for 64-bit mode. With JVM itself, off-heap buffers, stack etc it sums up to ~1.3GB on my machine. The same amount of memory is consumed by 3 most memory hungry tabs of Chrome. So 6GB is more than enough for IDEA.
A major slowdown may be caused by background indexing process which will start after creation of a new project. It's progress indicated on status bar below.
I-Pascal doesn't use some optimization facilities yet so it probably will consume more CPU than Java projects.

argb32

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2017, 03:03:19 pm »
Will it be useful for Pascal developers: Parameter Hints.
What you think?

Recent

Get Lazarus at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Open Hub project report for Lazarus