Recent

Author Topic: What is CodeTyphon ?  (Read 49877 times)

taazz

Re: What is CodeTyphon ?
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 09:44:51 am »
I'm a total noob, but here's my fast research:
- There's a changelog.
- I can't locate a Git, Subversion, Mercurial, Fossil...server with the code.

They follow the GPL, but in a shady way. They use a closed development model in order to obfuscate the development changes.

Can Lazarus and FPC change to a newer license? Does GPL3 or Affero GPL v3 provides protections about not providing public access to their source code repository (SVN, Git, Mercurial...)?
What are you talking about? They provide the source code with each installation there is nothing shady about it. go download and install.As for relicensing lazarus in a more closed up license I would leave in a heart bit for greener pastures if the go full GPL.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2017, 10:24:42 am »
I'm a total noob, but here's my fast research:
- There's a changelog.
- I can't locate a Git, Subversion, Mercurial, Fossil...server with the code.

This is not required by GPL+variants when they require source (since the whole family of licenses is from before internet was universal). The formal requirement is that the sourcecode must be given on request
and you can charge a nominal fee for *each* request. (which should cover media+labour to create it, and can be as high as $50).   The counter is that the results of such requests are GPLed again, and thus may be freely distributed (so you can't make it a kind of covert payware license).

Can Lazarus and FPC change to a newer license? Does GPL3 or Affero GPL v3 provides protections about not providing public access to their source code repository (SVN, Git, Mercurial...)?

Not easily (would require tracking and contacting a hell lot of developers) and no, other GPLs don't require using a public repo either.

(added later, after Juha's post)
The evidence of CT violations is actually quite thin, I summed up already in an earlier post in this already. I don't really think there is enough to even assume any malicious intent. Just a really
sloppy and intransparent way of working, but that is not illegal.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 01:27:27 pm by marcov »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2017, 11:42:07 am »
They follow the GPL, but in a shady way. They use a closed development model in order to obfuscate the development changes.
I believe you got inspiration from the infamous hate-blogger, didn't you. His writings are full of "alternative facts" or how to put it nicely.
For some reason there is no penalty for doing so, on the contrary he got many high-profile followers.

GPL requires that modified source code must be published when binaries built from it are delivered.
CodeTyphon does that, there is nothing shady about it.
Otherwise GPL is all about freedom. It only takes away one freedom: the freedom to turn GPL'd code into closed source.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2017, 12:58:50 pm »
CodeTyphon can help you build cross platform programs easier, it makes the complicated process simple. It also makes some improvements on the IDE.
"the complicated process"? Really? That is a matter of opinion I do not agree with and usually associated with Windows only programmers that are foraying into a brighter future... O:-)
Specialize a type, not a var.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 01:04:52 pm »
CodeTyphon can help you build cross platform programs easier, it makes the complicated process simple.
FpcUpDeluxe makes adding cross compilers just a few clicks away. It simply works, and seams even easier then CT.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2017, 01:27:37 pm »
Thanks for letting us know that FpcUpDeluxe has cross compiling feature.

I heard it but never tried it, I thought it is only a tool for installing and updating various versions of FPC and Lazarus.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/fpcupdeluxe

Raul_ES

• My interests: Healthcare & Computers
    • My Linkedin Profile, you can add me to stay in contact.
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2017, 06:04:36 pm »
GPL requires that modified source code must be published when binaries built from it are delivered.
CodeTyphon does that, there is nothing shady about it.
Otherwise GPL is all about freedom. It only takes away one freedom: the freedom to turn GPL'd code into closed source.

Hi,

does GPL really requires you to handle your code with modifications or just the original code? What if you decide to use a part of GPL code in a not open source project? if it's all about freedom, aren't you free to decide to hide your work and just redistribute the gpl part?
Pharmacy + Chemistry + Biology + Healthcare + Computing

If you have any interest or project related with these areas feel free to contact me!

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »
Lazarus IDE is licensed under GPL. The LCL units are licensed under LGPL with exception.

If I'm not wrong, if you modify the IDE and publicize the application you have to license it under GPL too, which means you have to make your modified source code available to public. But if you just use it internally without making the application public, you can keep the code private. But if you build application using LCL units, you're free to choose whatever license you like, because they are LGPL with exception.

Read more:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#Licensing

Maybe some will ask why GPL is so strict? Here is a quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License :
Richard Stallman and the FSF specifically encourage library-writers to license under the GPL so that proprietary programs cannot use the libraries, in an effort to protect the free-software world by giving it more tools than the proprietary world.

GPL is used to protect the free-software. LGPL is less restrictive.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:31:48 pm by Handoko »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 07:43:52 pm »
does GPL really requires you to handle your code with modifications or just the original code? What if you decide to use a part of GPL code in a not open source project? if it's all about freedom, aren't you free to decide to hide your work and just redistribute the gpl part?
Ok, good point. My sentence was too simplified.
GPL code cannot be part of a closed source program code because it touches or taints all the code which is then considered a work derived from GPL.
LGPL with linking exception is more free in that sense. You can include it in a closed source project.
The quote by Handoko is good. As you see GPL is very idealistic. It is about "free" as in "free speech". I kind of like it. I think there is a small RMS living inside me.  :)
Once you are ready to publish your sources under GPL, it really gives many freedoms.
You can make business with it, as many companies do. "Free" does not mean "gratis" here. See:
  https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
You can "steal" code from other GPL projects with no shame. There is plenty of good quality code out there.
You don't need to worry about copy protection of your binaries which is getting more and more complex. The business model must be based on something else.
Freedom achieved!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:48:02 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2017, 08:43:48 pm »
GPL code cannot be part of a closed source program code because it touches or taints all the code which is then considered a work derived from GPL.
Simply said GPL is viral  :'(
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

TinyPortal © 2005-2018