Recent

Author Topic: What is CodeTyphon ?  (Read 49789 times)

JD

Re: What is CodeTyphon ?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 09:12:32 am »
Not going to get into my personal opinions too much, but just to state some facts:

1) CodeTyphon is not "closed source", not even slightly. All the source for everything (each and every component, the IDE, their fork of FPC, e.t.c) is included with the download. The ONLY exception to this is the fact that the source for their standalone "CodeTyphon Center" updater/installation/package manager application is not available, which isn't particularly relevant to the discussion as it is an entirely original application by PilotLogic that does not exist at all for Lazarus.

2) The vast majority of their versions of the packages they bundle are objectively better than the originals and contain various non-trivial bugfixes, sometimes to the extent that the original package may have not even worked at all, but the CodeTyphon version does.

3) The CodeTyphon IDE itself does in fact come with no less than five entire palette-tabs worth of their own in-house controls that are not available anywhere else (ExControls1, ExControls2, e.t.c)

4) Their docked form designer (which is again something they developed entirely from scratch) has always been and continues to be significantly better than the Lazarus "Sparta" docked form designer in pretty much every way.

I wonder if it is possible to add some of these enhancements to the main Lazarus code tree.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

hnb

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:31 am »
4) Their docked form designer (which is again something they developed entirely from scratch) has always been and continues to be significantly better than the Lazarus "Sparta" docked form designer in pretty much every way.

This point seems not like the fact but personal opinion without single fact. Did you have any facts or details about how "Typhon docked form designer" is better or the only what you have to say is just "better in pretty much every way" which is almost like FUD?

Seems like even Typhon users want "Sparta" as default docked form designer instead of "Typhon docked form designer":

http://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/forum/ct-lab-news/3808-ct-lab-ver-6-20?start=10#10828

Their docked solution is not scalable (is not designed as package and can't be extended by 3rd) and has bugs for form position (I have often many bugs where designed form is out of view). During my experiments with Typhon for more complicated forms I have AV error which hangs Typhon IDE. Did Typhon docked form works correctly for high DPI? Typhon solution has much less features than full "Sparta" (which is on the way).

If you have any ideas how we can improve "Sparta" parts please share. Please be more constructive.
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 11:59:16 am »
I wonder if it is possible to add some of these enhancements to the main Lazarus code tree.
I would love to see that. It would not only follow the rules of our license but also its fundamental idea.
GPL was created so that code can be copied and modified with no shame and then published for others to copy from.

I personally backported one feature from CodeTyphon IDE to Lazarus some years ago. It was the small button at the end of component palette which opens a list of all pages. It becomes very handy when you install a few extra packages, for example Indy.
The feature was modified and improved after copying. It is not true that CodeTyphon's code is always superior, actually it was dummy and hardcoded to some package names. That's not the point however, code is always improved incrementally. Using the full potential of FOSS development would improve code for sure.

I think no other features have been backported.
If you have some cool feature or bug fix in mind, please port it to Lazarus and create a patch.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:13:02 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Akira1364

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 05:50:04 pm »

Seems like even Typhon users want "Sparta" as default docked form designer instead of "Typhon docked form designer":

http://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/forum/ct-lab-news/3808-ct-lab-ver-6-20?start=10#10828

The person who made that post is very clearly talking about the overall IDE layout (as in, they're asking if the layout shown in the image they uploaded can be made the default one.) They did not mention or reference the form designer at all.

hnb

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 08:06:57 pm »
The person who made that post is very clearly talking about the overall IDE layout (as in, they're asking if the layout shown in the image they uploaded can be made the default one.) They did not mention or reference the form designer at all.
Typhon/Pilotlogic forum is highly censored and original form of post is unknown. The post directly links to tutorial about anchordocking (which is also not mentioned) and sparta. The response from typhon team member is very clear related to sparta:
This is NOT compatible with CodeTyphon Studio
Sparta is part of layout and was inspired by Delphi layout. All in this topic.

Did you have any technical things / details to say or the only what you have to say is about how sparta is shitty?
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 08:18:09 pm »
Sparta  docked form designer is great.

I wanted to use it, but I read that because of some issue Sparta package was included in 1.6. I'm still waiting.

hnb

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 08:28:47 pm »
I wanted to use it, but I read that because of some issue Sparta package was included in 1.6. I'm still waiting.
Incoming Lazarus 1.8 contains improved version which has many bugfixes. Sparta in 1.8 is very stable. The full featured and redesigned Sparta is planned for Lazarus 2.0.

best regards,
Maciej Izak

Paul_

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:16 pm »
Yes, docked Lazarus IDE is really big plus. But the form editor seems very slow if you have more complex forms.

hnb

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 09:18:48 pm »
Yes, docked Lazarus IDE is really big plus. But the form editor seems very slow if you have more complex forms.
Feel free to create ticket on bugtracker with example of complex form which works slow for you. Is that happens only for docked form designer or for normal designer too?

best regards,
Maciej Izak

Akira1364

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 09:29:37 pm »
Did you have any technical things / details to say or the only what you have to say is about how sparta is shitty?

Never said it was "shitty." As far as technical details, my main issues with it in the past have been:
-Every single time you click on any control on the form, the entire form "flashes" what appears to be the outline of an MDI-style window that is slightly smaller than the form itself
-Controls are sometimes randomly thrown offscreen
-It takes longer to repaint than the CT designer, which becomes more noticeable the more controls you have on the form
-It doesn't have anything equivalent to the "desktop preview window" that the CT designer has

hnb

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 09:52:53 pm »
-Every single time you click on any control on the form, the entire form "flashes" what appears to be the outline of an MDI-style window that is slightly smaller than the form itself
-It takes longer to repaint than the CT designer, which becomes more noticeable the more controls you have on the form
-It doesn't have anything equivalent to the "desktop preview window" that the CT designer has

Much better. AFAIK second point is fixed in 1.8. Point 1 is related to 3 and will be fixed in 2.0. The point 4 was implemented long time ago but is not ported yet (I have plan to merge this feature in 2.0).

best regards,
Maciej Izak

JD

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:04 pm »
I would love to see that. It would not only follow the rules of our license but also its fundamental idea.
GPL was created so that code can be copied and modified with no shame and then published for others to copy from.

I personally backported one feature from CodeTyphon IDE to Lazarus some years ago. It was the small button at the end of component palette which opens a list of all pages. It becomes very handy when you install a few extra packages, for example Indy.
The feature was modified and improved after copying. It is not true that CodeTyphon's code is always superior, actually it was dummy and hardcoded to some package names. That's not the point however, code is always improved incrementally. Using the full potential of FOSS development would improve code for sure.

I think no other features have been backported.
If you have some cool feature or bug fix in mind, please port it to Lazarus and create a patch.

The GPL is the reason why I made the suggestion so I agree with you entirely. It is curious that you mentioned that button and a typical use case. I use it like that for the very same reason, to browse all the Indy components! So I can say kudos to you for that because it is simple & it just works!
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

Paul_

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:31 pm »
Feel free to create ticket on bugtracker with example of complex form which works slow for you. Is that happens only for docked form designer or for normal designer too?

In normal designer its ok, in docked it have 1 sec lag when I click to any component and moving with components is hard. When I had 12x TSpinedit response was maybe 5sec and it was no longer usable.
Structure is Form/PageControl/TabControl/Components + anchors (https://i.imgur.com/AtejJKQ.png)

I will check it more + add post it on bugtracker eventually. There is only anchordockingdsgn.lpk right?

hnb

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 12:05:36 am »

should be fixed in r55524 any input is welcome.

best regards,
Maciej Izak

timofonic

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:13 am »
I'm a total noob, but here's my fast research:
- There's a changelog.
- I can't locate a Git, Subversion, Mercurial, Fossil...server with the code.

They follow the GPL, but in a shady way. They use a closed development model in order to obfuscate the development changes.

Can Lazarus and FPC change to a newer license? Does GPL3 or Affero GPL v3 provides protections about not providing public access to their source code repository (SVN, Git, Mercurial...)?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018