Recent

Author Topic: Can Lazarus build program for PocketPC?  (Read 19795 times)

brianlai

Can Lazarus build program for PocketPC?
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:49:53 pm »
Anybody has experience to build application for PocketPC...?  If so, are you build it for WinCE 2.x, WinCE3.x, PPC 2002 or PPC2003?

Please comment...

:?:

CCRDude

RE: Can Lazarus build program for PocketPC?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:39:09 pm »
Take a look at the compiler page:

http://www.freepascal.org/

Free Pascal (aka FPK Pascal) is a 32 and 64 bit professional Pascal compiler. It is available for different processors: Intel x86, Amd64/x86 64, PowerPC, Sparc. The discontinued 1.0 version also supports the Motorola 680x0. The following operating systems are supported: Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X/Darwin, Mac OS classic, DOS, Win32, OS/2, Netware (libc and classic) and MorphOS.

I just now see that it no longer supports good old 680x0 :-/

The later text at least mentions cross-compiling for the ARM platform, which imho is what PocketPC are based on?

But even if compiling for arm would be possible, there imho are no widgets for CE.

felipemdc

• Administrator
RE: Can Lazarus build program for PocketPC?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 12:49:31 pm »
Hello,

I am am writting the Windows CE interface for Lazarus.

Currently the Free Pascal compiler works perfectly for Pocket PC and Smartphones. The compiler is a arm cross compiler, meaning that you use Free Pascal on MS Windows to write software for PocketPC. So, if you want to write a windows api based application for pocket pc, then Free Pascal is a good tool of choice.

What is needed now is a Lazarus interface for the Windows CE port, so you don´t have to write windows api based apps, but rather use LCL and the form designed. Currently TCustomForm, TCustomButton and TApplication are implemented. I am also working on TEdit. TEdit already works on my computer, soon I will send a patch for it.

You can find more information on the Wiki page about the Windows CE interface:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Windows_CE_Interface

felipemdc

• Administrator
Re: RE: Can Lazarus build program for PocketPC?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:54:48 pm »
Quote from: "CCRDude"
I just now see that it no longer supports good old 680x0 :-/

Yup, really bad hum? But that doesn´t affect Windows CE at all. Windows CE is based mostly on arm.

It would be great if someone makes the compiler work for 68k so I can write a PalmOS interface for Lazarus =)

The later text at least mentions cross-compiling for the ARM platform, which imho is what PocketPC are based on?

Just because the text wasn´t updated, doesn´t mean FPC doesn´t support ARM. It probably wasn´t updated because support for arm-wince is on the unstable 2.1 branch.

But even if compiling for arm would be possible, there imho are no widgets for CE.

What do you mean there are no widgets for CE? Windows CE of course supports widgets. Adding widgets to the lcl interface for wince should be easy. I can help if others are interrested on adding more widgets to the wince interface.

brianlai

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 05:38:15 pm »
Sekel.... Thanks for your kindly update.... I will try it in PPC2002/2003!

:D

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:05:38 pm »
hi...
i am new to lazarus,how can i use it to compile for pocketpc/smartphones?
i have followed all instructions to make arm compiler and build libraries,so i can create console applications but how can i use lazarus to create something with forms?

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 11:38:08 pm »
hi...
i have followed all instructions to make arm compiler and build libraries,so i can create console applications but how can i use lazarus to create something with forms?

CCRDude

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 11:48:39 am »
Sorry Sekel, I was just trying to be careful about what is supported ;)
Just looked through FAQs and some docs and didn't know something was in work.

Palm was my idea regarding 68k as well (and that sentence was just a general, off-topic sigh, not a complaint), but honestly, while I still know some 68k assembler, and even have an old Apple Mac Color Classic and LC III (great 68k machines :D , my knowledge is too limited for that level of work.

Well... if compiling for ARM works, I would love to see something for Symbian... the two compilers normally used (Metroworks now bought by Nokia, and that old Borland stuff) are both really bad to use. I know how to use the Symbian API, and I know how to write in C++, but it's just not the same as Pascal  8)  Guess I need to play around a bit with cross-compiling for ARM as well ;)

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 01:47:07 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
hi...

Currently the IDE can be used to write and design the software, but it cannot be used to compile it. We are working on it and should be fixed in maybe 1 month.

So, create a new Lazarus project with a form. Drop a Button and a TEdit on a form. Save everything.

Here: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Windows_CE_Interface

There are instructions about how to create a batch script to compile the LCL.

After you compiled the LCL for arm-wince, you can create a batch script to compile the software you just designed.

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 01:57:02 pm »
Quote from: "CCRDude"
Well... if compiling for ARM works, I would love to see something for Symbian... the two compilers normally used (Metroworks now bought by Nokia, and that old Borland stuff) are both really bad to use. I know how to use the Symbian API, and I know how to write in C++, but it's just not the same as Pascal  8)  Guess I need to play around a bit with cross-compiling for ARM as well ;)

Well, for Lazarus-Symbian to work, first we need the compiler to support this.

The architecture (ARM) is ready, so it's only necessary to implement the platform-dependent parts of the Free Pascal Run-time library (RTL) for Symbian.

If you can get the RTL working, I can write a Lazarus interface for it ;)

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 04:30:23 pm »
Quote from: "sekel"
Currently the IDE can be used to write and design the software, but it cannot be used to compile it. We are working on it and should be fixed in maybe 1 month

What is missing?

CCRDude

Bounty on Symbian RTL
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 05:25:54 pm »
I've been thinking some more about Symbian ;)

I probably don't have the time to write the RTL for Symbian, but I remembered the Bounty page on the wiki. Since I didn't find it when searching now, and neither a place on the FreePascal wiki (since this is more a FPC thing), I decided to post here again ;)

I would be willing to put a bounty of $1000 on a Symbian version of the RTL plus one small GUI app sample (e.g. similar to the one on my blog). Depending on the difficulties (I'm not sure if Series 60/80/90 and UIQ 2/3 would need different RTLs) that's also open to negotiations.

Any suggestions on where to better post this are welcome of course :)

felipemdc

• Administrator
RE: Bounty on Symbian RTL
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 08:57:24 pm »
Please post this on the wiki bounties page:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Bounties

It´s located on the Lazarus Wiki, but Free Pascal related things are also welcome. I also don´t know if different RTLs are needed, but since this is a possibility, also post there what is your prefered SymbianOS widgetset and version (for example: UIQ version 3.0). After a first widget is done the others will be easier.

CCRDude

RE: Bounty on Symbian RTL
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 09:19:00 pm »
Sorry... i searched for "bounty" and even "money", but didn't think to look for the plural :D Should've known better, I stumble across that singular/plural thing on Wikipedia all the time ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018