Recent

Author Topic: Open position for web page admin  (Read 71162 times)

rhapdog

• Woof y'all!
Re: Open position for web page admin
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 08:42:02 pm »
@JuhaManninen:
Glad you've got someone doing this.  I look forward to seeing the page up and running.

I just thought it might help to fill a small part of free time, but there is plenty to fill it with.  I'm certainly not short of things to do with a 3 year old and 6 month old, I just don't want to get rusty on my programming skills. 

While I appreciate the offer to exercise my Object Pascal skills, I think that will be a bit premature for me at this point.  I've been working exclusively in Delphi for desktop development, and have only played with Lazarus a bit.  Before I decide to delve into that, I'll take some time and convert some of my existing projects from Delphi 2010 into Lazarus, which will take quite a bit of rewriting due to the custom VCL packages I was using which won't be available with Lazarus (they were commercial VCL packages.)

I've noticed how difficult it can be to type with a 6 month old in my lap trying to teethe on my keyboard and/or fingers as I type.  Like now.  Oops!  I gotta go grab a towel and clean my keyboard.  Later.
Code: [Select]
uses 'Signature.pas';
function ASCII(Requestor: TUser): TReceive;
begin
  Writeln(Requestor, 'ASCII and ye shall receive.');
end;

svatas

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 04:49:36 pm »
@JuhaManninen : does not matter if the page is rather static or dynamic (from the perspective of content). The main advantage is the possibility to upgrade the functionality by adding new modules and components. As I said - I have experience with CMS specially with Joomla. As SMF is is available as a Joomla component it could be implemented.

Do you have some details to the fact that "they are difficult to configure"? For me - using CMS could be a real community driven project...

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 07:36:30 pm »
@JuhaManninen : does not matter if the page is rather static or dynamic (from the perspective of content). The main advantage is the possibility to upgrade the functionality by adding new modules and components. As I said - I have experience with CMS specially with Joomla. As SMF is is available as a Joomla component it could be implemented.

Maybe I don't have enough knowledge to understand the benefits.
SMF is running the forum. The new page fetches announcements using PHP. For this Joomla is not needed.
The page also has a download button that identifies the client OS and links to the correct installation package. I don't see how Joomla could help there either.

Maybe Joomla has modules related to SW development. Then it could be interesting.
If you really think there is a need for it, you can put up a prototype somewhere and demonstrate it. There is even a FreeBSD 9.1 server waiting at FirmOS.
The Joomla system should not compete with the project main web site but offer something additional.

It is also important to only add web tools that are actually needed. There has been claims that better tool chain would increase code contributions dramatically which is not true. It is wishfull thinking at most. Creating code for a big and complex project is the hard part, the current tool chain does not really slow anybody down.
One favorite issue was the Git / SVN debate. Many people wrote that a distributed development model + Git would attract many new developers.
Now it is technically possible :
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Creating_A_Patch#Using_a_forked_Git_repository_directly
but nobody (I mean NOBODY) has yet offered a forked GitHub branch with his code contributions. The whining stopped though, it is good.

One suggestion if you have time and energy: The Lazarus Wiki sucks and would need improvements.
The search feature does not find anything. There are other issues listed by Chronos in other threads. It is possible to fix those issues in the MediaWiki system. Somebody with knowledge, motivation and time should work on it using the test server.

Do you have some details to the fact that "they are difficult to configure"? For me - using CMS could be a real community driven project...

No details, sorry.
Ok, one detail is that I had a chance to participate in an EU inter-school project DOSSEE (Developing Open Source Systems Expertise in Europe) in Austria over a year ago.
Teams from different countries built something fancy using open source products during 2 weeks.
One team's name was "Hey, this is Joomla". They could not configure their system in a week.
They changed their name to "Hey, this is NOT Joomla" and tried some other SW (don't remember was it Drupal, or maybe the original one was Drupal), but they ran out of time.
Finally it was the only team that failed to finish their project.
The original team had made a proof-of-concept configuration in their country (Spain) before the event but they used different library versions etc. and those instructions did not work any more.
Bummer.
In the end they had a presentation of their "project" and had to explain why they failed. Other people also confirmed difficulties in their own CMS experiments. Nobody could explain why they are difficult though. They were clever people, I believe if they say so.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:13:56 am by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 07:53:12 pm »
We have to keep in mind what we want to archive with the web page.

For contributed content we have the wiki. So when we talk about CMS, then we talk about content maintained by the developers.

That does not mean that users can not contribute at all. But changes from users will be handled like contributed patches to the pascal code are today handled already.

At this point, we do not need a login for each developer. Just look at our blog and the frequency of content there. What do you expect will happen on the web page?

CMS also offer some ready to use modular functionality (web mail form (we have the forum instead) / random content / adaptive layout / ..... 100 more)

We do not need those now, and that what we need we do have by other means.

So right now, we do not need a CMS.

Not to mention that there are very regular, and very huge automated attacks on CMS like Joomla and Wordpress.

aducom

• http://www.aducom.com
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 09:48:21 pm »
I still would opt for using a cms. Of course there are attacks, but that is not an argument to stop joomla, e107 and other cms's to be used. Why reinvent the wheel?

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 10:29:53 pm »
I still would opt for using a cms. Of course there are attacks, but that is not an argument to stop joomla, e107 and other cms's to be used. Why reinvent the wheel?

Because there are better wheels for the purpose? Hence we do Lazarus, not Delphi...

Anyway you got the wrong tense  (afaik, English is only my 2nd language): "I still would".
Correct tense here is future perfect: "I still would have"
;)

The decision was already made. The new page is almost ready to go.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 07:40:08 am »
The decision was already made. The new page is almost ready to go.

Interesting... looking forward to the implementation ;)

Just a friendly suggestion: from a communications perspective, I would have expected an announcement that a page design had been picked. That may have saved some confusion... and made the process a bit more transparent.
(I'm assuming the relevant designers have been informed, but I'm talking about communicating with the "general public"/forum users).

Thanks,
BigChimp
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 09:16:22 pm »
Just a friendly suggestion: from a communications perspective, I would have expected an announcement that a page design had been picked. That may have saved some confusion... and made the process a bit more transparent.

It was mentioned many times in many threads here, including this thread.
The process was even too transparent. The discussion was rather chaotic, as you may remember.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 07:43:06 am »
Sorry Juha, I really missed an announcement that one of the two (IIRC) competing designs had been picked. Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

snorkel

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 05:29:15 pm »
Which one was picked?
I liked the nsunny one except for the colors.
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 06:57:02 pm »
Which one was picked?

The pages from nsunny should go online anytime soon. Marc takes care of the technical details in installation.
Many of the inconsistent fonts and colors were fixed, and text contents were changed to be more truthful.

@BigChimp: it was not an "official" announcement but it was mentioned many times during the discussion.
I will make an announcement when it goes online.

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 08:17:37 pm »
The pages from nsunny should go online anytime soon. Marc takes care of the technical details in installation.
Many of the inconsistent fonts and colors were fixed, and text contents were changed to be more truthful.

Interesting. I didn't understand this from the discussion.
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

lof

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:05 am »
I'm considering candidating as an individual or as small collective of IT with good web design skills to help out, I still need to talk with the rest of the team, but I would like an update status on this point.

1 - Is the position filled?
2 - Is the design already made?
3 - Is it mandatory to use the current platform (cms)?
4 - What info on the candidate do you need to decide?
5 - Do you have a fixed deadline?
6 - What is expected? (I didn't understand if it's more a web development thing or content maintenance?)

Thank you,
Luís

If you want to check my freelance page www.lof-design.com

BlueIcaro

• Blog personal
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 08:12:28 pm »
Just I come to lazarus web, and I saw the new web, and only I can say, Nice, Great Job!!!

/BlueIcaro

fredycc

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2013, 09:30:46 pm »
Very nice job, cool look  :D maybe with tith time some features like responsive design will be nice. :)

Thaks guys

TinyPortal © 2005-2018