Recent

Author Topic: config on different machines  (Read 2384 times)

MarkBravington

config on different machines
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:04 am »
Can you suggest any way to do the following? "No, it's unreasonable" would be a reasonable answer...

I always use the same version of Lazarus (1.0.2 at present), but on two different machines (I'm sole user on both). All "my" code, data, etc is stored in exactly the same file structure and kept in synch on both machines, but software installations on the two are different. For example, the top-level Lazarus directory is different, and one machine is Windows XP while the other is Windows 7, so that the location of the default primary-config is different.

I would like to be able to have some, but not all, features of the configuration guaranteed identical between the machines. For example: user-defined colour schemes are good to share, as is "state of thing you were last working on". But because the screen layout is different, the actual code window dimensions need to be different.

At present, I use the default primary-config-path, which is not synched between machines. The code screens come up the right size for each machine, but one machine doesn't know about any config changes I make while using the other one (barring manual copying)-- e.g. where I was last in an editing session. I can fix the latter by setting --pcp=<<same-on-both-machines>>--- but then e.g. the window dimensions come up the same on both, so I have to stuff around with lots of resizing.

One way this could work, is if Lazarus *reads* config files looking first in the PCP, which I'd make machine-specific, and if not then in the SCP, which I'd make synched. But the doco says that Lazarus actually *copies* files from the SCP to the PCP if it doesn't find them in PCP, so that on subsequent starts on the same machine it will effectively ignore the SCP.

Perhaps I need to build a BAT file that deletes files from the PCP if they're already in the SCP, then launches Lazarus.

Or is there a better way, eg somehow via macros in a config file?

Thanks
Mark

TinyPortal © 2005-2018