Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Lazarus on MAC OSX 10.8 VM  (Read 4085 times)

kevin.black

[SOLVED] Lazarus on MAC OSX 10.8 VM
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:07:05 am »
I know there was a previous topic very similar, but that was put down as [SOLVED].

I have installed, loaded etc all of the prerequisites like XCODE and the other bits required.  I have the fpc, fpcsrc (2.6) and Lazarus 1.1.4xxx from daily snapshot.  Have also tried this with  Lazarus 1.0.6.  I note that the DMGs are all for i386 (32bit I assume).  OSX 10.8 is 64bit only and there is no checkbox for the Lazarus application to run in 32bit mode.

So I run Lazarus and the system tells me I cannot build for OS etc selected (default is Darwin) and when I change it system hangs.  When I do other stuff lazarus hangs. 

Is it because I am running the 32bit fpc/fpcsrc/lazarus ion this 64bit VM.  I have read (I am new to MACs) that running 32bit apps on a 64bit OS is not a good idea.

I've spent a good couple of days ++ just triyng to install lazarus.  We have some iOS development and have the Simulator loaded.  I have read this is a good way to develop for iPhone and iPad rather than Objective-C.  We also have a windows development activity going which look great so would like to keep the development environments similar if possible. 

Again, not an OSX guru so please take this into consideration when you reply, thanks.

Other than finding an OSX 10.7 VM that I can boot in 32bit mode, any suggestions??

EDIT:

I seem to have Lazarus running, but I cannot get past ...Compiler does not support this OS (Darwin)....  But no matter what I put here it still hangs with that message.

So what OS/CPU etc should I put her to build for a MAC in the first instance?

Cheers,
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:16:43 am by kevin.black »

kevin.black

Re: Lazarus on MAC OSX 10.8 VM
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:19:10 pm »
No one, really??

I guess my big question is:  Is the grief I'm having because OSX 4.8 is on a VMWare VM rather than a physical machine?

I seem to get the feeling that those people running OSX on Apple hardware, ie. a physical box, get this running without too many issues.  I have been round the buoy several times and cannot get past the error message that Lazarus cannot compile for any of Darwin/386.  Even if I change the compiler options I stille get the message WRT Darwin and i386 (so I could have it set at iphonesim and ARM - still get Darwin and i386 error message).  Once I get the error and click OK the system hangs.  I do a Force Quit, but cannot restart Lazarus, so must log out/in to be able to restart lazarus and get the same errors WRT Compiler Options.

I will give this a go on a real mac if I can get hold of one and see if it works there.

BTW, what is a workable combination of:

1. Target OS
2. Target CPU
3. Target Processor

The most likely combination to work just so I can try it out???  AND the necessary requirements to build for iPhone if I get something working to start with??

Thanks,
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:28:25 am by kevin.black »

kevin.black

Re: [SOLVED] Lazarus on MAC OSX 10.8 VM
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:12 am »
OK, so it had nothing to do with VMware and OSX 4.8 and it had nothing to do with the installation, that was fine (and done about 20 times).

What was it then, well - the path to the compiler.

By default Lazarus sets it up as:  /Developer/lazarus/lazarus

But it needs to be:                        /usr/local/bin/ppc386

I assumed (wrongly) that because the system was finding a compiler and giving me error messages that it wasn't the wrong compiler.  I also assumed that the documentation (which noted /usr/local/bin/ppc386) was possibly out of date.

Oh well, until the next issue.....

Kevin

TinyPortal © 2005-2018