Recent

Author Topic: Support for Rad Studio XE3 is now available in DACs, dbExpress Drivers and Virtu  (Read 11250 times)

Devart

Devart announces that RAD Studio XE3 is now supported in new versions Data Access Componens, dbExpress Drivers and Virtual Table.
Devart Team is glad to introduce users to the new versions of Data Access Components, dbExpress drivers and VirtualTable.
The above mentioned products now support the latest Rad Studio XE3 Development Environment, including Delphi and C++Builder. Devart Data Access
Components and Devart dbExpress drivers will help developers to produce
up-to-date applications for working with databases, using the newest
technologies, such as FireMonkey FM2 and LiveBinding.
Devart engineers have also supported Windows 8 Metropolis UI style, that allows users to create native applications for the newest Windows 8 with both classic style and Windows 8 Metropolis UI style.
In the latest release dbExpress drivers obtained an opportunity to work with Data Explorer. From now on, database development and management, stored data view, became even easier as it can be done directly from IDE.
dbExpress driver for SQLite received two unique capabilities. The first is Static Linking of SQLite library to dbExpress driver, that allows users to fully renounce using sqlite3.dll. When using Static Linking, one gets the built-in database encryption algorithm. No need to spend money on buying expensive SQLite client libraries with support for encryption - when using Static Linking, SQLite Encryption support will be automatically added to the application and will make it possible to use the following algorithms to protect data: AES, Blowfish, TripleDES, Cast128, RC4.

Find out more about the new version on the product pages of  Devart Delphi Data Access Components and dbExpress Drivers.

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
Support for Rad Studio XE3 is not relevant here. How good is the metioned Free Pascal and Lazarus support?

fabienwang

• Lazarus is the best
    • My blog
none of its products page says it is Freepascal/Lazarus compatible...
As a consequence, I consider this thread as a spam. :)
I'm using Arch Linux.
Known for: CPickSniff, OpenGrabby
Contributed to: LazPaint

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
http://www.devart.com/dac.html mentions Lazarus several times.

teos

@Vincent: Devart's products supporting Lazarus is nice but not relevant to the topic: the text and topic title are not about Lazarus but about Delphi XE3, Lazarus is not even mentioned..

I would say: irrelevant post/info for this community. Not more than cheap advertising/spam.

And even when mentioning Lazarus/Freepascal, the main color of the Devart website is Delphi. Feels like the next is FastReport and Nevrona's Reporbuilder promoting their products here as well.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:10:24 pm by teos »

taazz

@Vincent: Devart's products supporting Lazarus is nice but not relevant to the topic: the text and topic title are not about Lazarus but about Delphi XE3, Lazarus is not even mentioned..

I would say: irrelevant post/info for this community. Not more than cheap advertising/spam.

And even when mentioning Lazarus/Freepascal, the main color of the Devart website is Delphi. Feels like the next is FastReport and Nevrona's Reporbuilder promoting their products here as well.
Yes and? Isn't this the 3rd party group? what purpose does the announcement\3rd party has other than 3rd party announce their products free or commercial makes no difference.

I'm sorry if I singled you out this is not about you this is a general question to everyone that doesn't like the announcement, yours was the last post of that kind in the stuck.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
I think a new version of any 3rd party Lazarus component or library can be advertised here, including commercial ones.
However, Devart did not mention Lazarus or FPC even once in the post. This was clearly an advertisement for Delphi components, not for Lazarus components.
Yet, some of their components do support Lazarus. Maybe they will write an ad targeted for Lazarus users next time. :)
Otherwise it is no big deal (IMO). Just one Delphi ad in a Lazarus forum post.

Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

taazz

Given the fact that their Dac's do support lazarus, it is only fair to inform their user that their component set can now be used with X3 as well, some might have a dual environment. At least this is how I understand the announcement.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
Still this thread has nothing to do with Lazarus of FPC, which it should at least mention in the post, third party or not. Since they did not mention anything relevant, and this IS a Lazarus forum, that IS spam.

Why not advertise release of Windows 8 here? It also runs Lazarus... I must tell Bill about the new ad channel for them :D
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

taazz

as you wish its your forum after all, I do stay informed from other channels and doesn't change anything for me. You decide where you want lazarus to be. I reserve my rights to do the same.

teos

Yes and? Isn't this the 3rd party group? what purpose does the announcement\3rd party has other than 3rd party announce their products free or commercial makes no difference.

I'm sorry if I singled you out this is not about you this is a general question to everyone that doesn't like the announcement, yours was the last post of that kind in the stuck.

No Taazz, fine to quote me.

But like mentioned allready: the next thing we see is the announcement of a new Windows or Linux version, both have support for (will run) Lazarus.

Maybe you're right and it is an message saying that XE3 is supported too. But for that announcement there are Delphi related newsgroups and forums.

IMHO the Lazarus forum that we are on is for announcements that are ment to be for Lazarus versions and components. But then again that is not my desicion, that is for the moderators of this forum. ;)

taazz

My point of view is that if microsoft starts announcing new windows versions in lazarus forums then the team should be very proud. It means that the tool has enough momentum and companies or organization of the size of microsoft, redhat, suse or what ever you like are seeing value in posting on this forums. That is a good sign not a bad one. The minor inconvenience of reading a header and heating the mark read button on top seems insignificant in my eyes.

Yes we should guard the forums from spam but lets be very careful on defining what is spam in my opinion this is one of those messages that should be welcomed it shows to the rest of world that lazarus is a stable environment for companies to invest on.

As I said I'm comfortable with my choices and I reserve the right to change them as I see feet but I do want that lazarus really takes off from a hobby project outlook to a stable for development environment.
Don't get me wrong on the above I only refer to the perception of lazarus from the outside world not its technical stability or abilities.

So in short I'm always happy to see commercial companies that do support lazarus making announcements in here and Devart does support lazarus (and no linux does not support lazarus, lazarus supports it) I would be even happier if those companies started reporting bugs or patches too, these are signs of a thriving community and are the signs that I am looking forward to seeing in this community too.

regards
Jo

PS.
I do not want to start any flame wars in here these are my opinions and I state them now because I had a laps of judgement and posted in the first place. So excuse me but I will not address every ones posts, although I will read with great interests anything you have to say, if I feel that my post will deteriorate the thread in to a pissing contest.

teos

** OFFTOPIC ** @Taazz: i don't think this is going to be a war, I read the post one way, you read it the other. And your way was one I didn't see, so allways interesting.

I have expressed what I think, I don't think announcements like this tell anything about the quality of Lazarus, more about Devarts investment in XE3 compatibility. ;-)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
So in short I'm always happy to see commercial companies that do support lazarus making announcements in here and Devart does support lazarus (and no linux does not support lazarus, lazarus supports it) I would be even happier if those companies started reporting bugs or patches too, these are signs of a thriving community and are the signs that I am looking forward to seeing in this community too.

I must say I mostly agree with taazz.
The forum posts carry a "substance-factor". The ones with substance have something to do with the project's source code or its documentation and maybe help create actual code.
It can also be a question which is substantial for a person's own project. It gets answered and everybody is happy.

In the past I was angry with some posts with absolutely no substance. For example people who had no intention to contribute anything, wanted to explain how poorly organized the project and its tools are. (yes, I should have used a more polite tone but that is another issue).

Now, this Devart has substance. They have made components that work under Lazarus.
In my mind they have a moral right to advertise their components, even though they "forgot" to mention Lazarus in this post.

And yes, support from commercial companies is very important for an open source project to become successful.
It brings substance for the project itself. The project looks like a serious alternative in the eyes of other people.

There is a huge number of open source projects (millions) but how many are really successful? Few hundreds, a thousand maybe. It is impossible to define which one is successful.
Anyway, the most successful ones are known and used by many people, they have support from commercial companies, and they compete with commercial products eating their market-share (LibreOffice, Gimp, Linux).
There are also some well-known development tools but FPC/Lazarus is not one of them. Almost nobody knows about it, yet the technical quality is competitive with GCC or Eclipse.
I strongly believe the situation will improve in future. Having commercial companies advertising their Lazarus components side by side with Delphi components is already a big step forward.

Regards,
Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Ask

• Global Moderator
I suggest either contact Devart or, since they probably do not read the forum, for some moderator to edit the original post with a sentence like "These components also support Lazarus, which make porting code easier".
Then the issue becomes moot.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018