Recent

Author Topic: New category?  (Read 18899 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: New category?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:52 pm »
How about Data Structures and Algorithms?

1) How many post on that topic exist so far?
If we add too many boards, then the forum becomes hard to use.
Topics will fit in more than one category (e.g an image fill algorithm), and info will be hard to find.

IMHO your topic is programming general.

2) If you still think it is needed, make it a new thread with new topic (and put d.s.&a. in that into the topic)

JJVillamor

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 08:41:25 am »
That's very true. There should be at least a certain amount of threads before a separate category-board or child board is considered.

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:45 am »
The  general forum is a place where people ask questions they need an immediate solution to, ie a problem they are having, ie something which expresses itself as results they cannot get. Most of these issues resolve around the LCL or the FCL.

There should be a forum to discuss things that are being considered, and have nothing to do with UI or data output issues, where you want a better analysis of what algorithms you should choose etc, the effects of one option or the other.
In short a place where a person experienced in using another language can discuss Pascal implementations of one algorithm or another. More like an advanced Pascal forum.

Topics will fit in more than one category (e.g an image fill algorithm), and info will be hard to find.

2) If you still think it is needed, make it a new thread with new topic (and put d.s.&a. in that into the topic)
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:29 am »
The  general forum is a place where people ask questions they need an immediate solution to, ie a problem they are having, ie something which expresses itself as results they cannot get.

I am not sure a new board will solve that. There will be people needing an immediate solution too: "Must fix that by tomorrow, how to use less memory/be faster."

The topic does not imply, that you already know one or more algorithm, and want to compare them. So there will be those open questions, that simply say: "I am trying to write a calculator. What algorithm should I use?"

Also algorithm covers a wide field of thinks, and the field depends a lot on the readers interpretation: Some people will post questions like "Should I use IF/else or case of". That is an implementation question, but not everyone is going to make that difference.

Even I at this point do not know, if you want to
1) compare algorithms (e.g. different kind of sort)
2) Discuss how to implement a specific algorithm is pascal
3) Discuss algorithm related question, such as: What is big O, or what does NP mean.
4) Allow questions on specific problems, where the author says what he wants to do, and ask if there is an algorithm for that.

Most of these issues resolve around the LCL or the FCL.
If that is the case, it proves my point. There are so many boards, people already use the wrong one.

Anyway just my 2 cents

Also such a board will have on overlap with others. Introducing such a board will mean people will have to look in additional places for such things.
- graphics, algorithm to fill a polygon.
- LCL: What algorithm to use for computing anchored positions. Should LCL be changed

typo

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 11:10:24 pm »
@ezlage

Do you think that a captcha component could help you?

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 01:38:51 am »
Does the forum software used here support tagging?

That may be a good idea and if a tag acquires a lot of posts a sub forum can be created for it.

Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

TinyPortal © 2005-2018