Recent

Author Topic: Which Virtualbox image distro is best for Lazarus?  (Read 14717 times)

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
Re: Which Virtualbox image distro is best for Lazarus?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 06:59:07 pm »
The joke is that there are so many standards to choose from on Unix/Linux. Though a lot of things are standardized...

I wonder though about Windows where Microsoft implements and then throws out some "game changing, must use" technology every few years....
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

KpjComp

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 10:49:26 pm »
I wonder though about Windows where Microsoft implements and then throws out some "game changing, must use" technology every few years....

Yes, Microsoft and standards are not always good friends, eg. take HTML for example, what a mess they made there, and then decided to invent another standard nobody needed, Silverlight, when HTML5 was being developed.

But the one thing you can do, is create an install that will work all the way from  Windows 95-Windows 7, and most likely W8 too.

CaptBill

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 05:30:34 am »
I assume you want to target the widest audience with your apps and want a good test-bed. In that case you want for your test Linux environments: Ubuntu, Debian, and probably Mint. That will cover probably 90% of the Linux installations out there.
Chiefly Ubuntu and Debian. If you are set up for either/both of those, you are assured that people with other distros can install too. Generally, most distros can work with .deb's (debian repo format) and Ubuntu's repo format.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 06:58:42 am »
I assume you want to target the widest audience with your apps and want a good test-bed. In that case you want for your test Linux environments: Ubuntu, Debian, and probably Mint. That will cover probably 90% of the Linux installations out there.
Chiefly Ubuntu and Debian. If you are set up for either/both of those, you are assured that people with other distros can install too. Generally, most distros can work with .deb's (debian repo format) and Ubuntu's repo format.
Well.... unless you count Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS  & Fedora (& other distros using .rpms.)

Ubuntu seems to be popular on the desktop, yes, but RHEL seems to be the distribution of choice in corporations.

Depends on your market though - I think Ubuntu/Mint is more prevalent on desktops while RH is more prevalent on servers.

Edited: typo
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:59:33 am by BigChimp »
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

Andyk

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 10:35:29 am »
Are Ubuntu and Mint different ?

I installed Mint, it says "Mint" in the splash screen but it says Ubuntu in the top right hand corner.

JD

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 11:11:38 am »
Are Ubuntu and Mint different ?

I installed Mint, it says "Mint" in the splash screen but it says Ubuntu in the top right hand corner.

Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu which is itself a derivative of Debian.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

Andyk

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »
So now I realise that, unlike the Windows installer, FPC is not included in the Lazarus build for Linux.

Is there a reason for this?

I did download it and, lo and behold, it has an installer.

I just ran the script and FPC installed automatically.

I still haven't figured out how what to do withe deb files, doesn't seem to be any use for them.

I followed the instructions here...

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_release_version_for_Ubuntu

created the getlaz file and it worked, so I'm up and running.  :o :D

TinyPortal © 2005-2018