Recent

Author Topic: Informing the European Commission on Apple's monopoly abuse  (Read 54614 times)

pasquale

• Esposito Software
Re: Informing the European Commission on Apple's monopoly abuse
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
OK, guys.

I couldn't wait any longer, so I wrote up my complaint letter and sent it to the European Commission through e-mail.

Attached you will find a PDF file with the text of my letter (I have only removed my personal data).

I hope many of you will follow my example.

Let's make this world a better place and say no to monopoly abuse and unfair competition!
Apple loves breaking backward compatibility to make money. If you want to be sure that your apps will never stop working, use Windows and trash macOS!

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 12:19:29 am »
Good luck!
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

lainz

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:50 am »
Well written  :)

mas steindorff

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 01:07:39 am »
upon reading your letter, I see similarities with win7 and drivers.  but win7 will let you bypass the rejection of unsigned drivers by pressing F8 (??or F5) when booting and selecting an option of installing unsigned drivers.  once installed, you can normal boot with the driver.

this I did not know until recently.  does/will apple's OS offer the same?
windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ - fpc 3.0.4, IDE 2.0 general releases

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 07:36:11 am »
upon reading your letter, I see similarities with win7 and drivers.  but win7 will let you bypass the rejection of unsigned drivers by pressing F8 (??or F5) when booting and selecting an option of installing unsigned drivers.  once installed, you can normal boot with the driver.

this I did not know until recently.  does/will apple's OS offer the same?

I don't know how  unsigned drivers will work on Mountain Lion but, even if there is a key combination to activate them, I think that the problem will remain: inexperienced users will not install them and, being afraid of malicious software, they will just look elsewhere.

Shortly speaking, if you don't pay Apple, you are out, independently of what you are able to produce.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:37:49 am by pasquale »
Apple loves breaking backward compatibility to make money. If you want to be sure that your apps will never stop working, use Windows and trash macOS!

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 08:26:36 am »
Do you have an editable version? In ODT or DOC? Because the letter requires editing before sending on my behalf.

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 03:38:53 pm »
Do you have an editable version? In ODT or DOC? Because the letter requires editing before sending on my behalf.

When I try to attach the same document in DOC format, this Forum returns an error message saying the file is too large.

I have removed one of the pictures which was present in the file and this time it was able to load the attachment.

Again, I would like to invite everybody who shares this cause to submit the letter to the European Commission. The more we are, the more chances we have to succeed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:46:27 pm by pasquale »

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »
By the way, this morning I received the acknowledgement of receipt from the European Commission (see attached file).

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 09:09:50 pm »
Reading this article:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14740927&postcount=480

I was under the impression that there have been some changes to the way in which Gatekeeper is going to work on Mountain Lion. In particular, right-clicking and choosing Open gives a different pop up that allows you to make an exception.

What do you think?

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 08:24:18 am »
It is still very nasty. Right-clicking and choosing Open should not do something different then double-clicking. This is a very bad UI. Noone in their right minds with a little sense would do that ... unless it is on purpose to hide the feature from users while still claiming that it exists.

I can imagine that a huge amount of non-tech savy users will fail to find this "gotcha", so you have to explain for them again and again and again ... and even then you will loose many users which simply fail to install your app and don't ask for further instructions.... Apple is trying to annoy and bully us into paying the $100 bucks per year so that they can mass the next $100 billion dollars in their bank account. And they are playing very dirty.

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 11:54:09 am »
I agree. It still makes sense to complain to the European Commission.

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 02:34:31 pm »
I was thinking that it may also be worth asking the European Commission to start another investigation against Apple's monopoly abuse dealing with the configuration of iOS, which allows to install only apps downloaded from Apple's App Store.

I think the chances of Apple violating EU free-trade legislation are not slim and, needless to say, limiting the app dictatorship of Apple's Store would also be advantageous for those independent developers selling applications for the Mac.

I would very much like to know if you have any pieces of advice about the most important points to include in the complaint letter.

Thanks.

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 04:52:35 pm »
Just to keep you posted on the most recent developments regarding the letter I sent to the EU Commission less than one month ago, please find attached the reply I received from them.

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »
And this is the e-mail I've just sent them in which I insist that, in my opinion, we are in the presence of an infringement of Article 102 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (see attached file).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:00:43 pm by pasquale »

pasquale

• Esposito Software
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012, 04:58:45 pm »
Finally, this is the revised version of my complaint letter in PDF format.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018