Recent

Author Topic: I need a compass...  (Read 5313 times)

Galbi

I need a compass...
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:11:28 pm »
If I were to make a program whith a big database of products (aprox. 20.000) and every product should be searched via (at least) by one of three ways (bar code, official code or name), what kind of format this databese should have? Which it's the best (or easier)? Txt, dbf,
pascal record, etc.

Thanks.

Galbi.

felipemdc

• Administrator
RE: I need a compass...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 11:18:18 am »
I don't think you should use txt, dbf or pascal records for such a large database. Those formats lack the stability needed. In special pascal records can corrupt easely and it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to recover. .txt create huge files.

I think there are 2 best solutions: SQLite and MySQL

SQLite is easier to be installed on the command line and on Lazarus. It requires only a single dll or .so file to be deployed with your system, so it is very good for deploying applications.

MySQL is considered more robust and tested, but it is harder to install and if you deploy your programm you will have to deal with lot's of dlls / .so, and other difficulties to install on a system.

There is also PostgreSQL, but I have never used it.

Please refer to the wiki for more information on how to use database components on Lazarus.

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 11:24:28 am »
with some indexes I think a dbf still can manage 20000 records. (don't know if TDbf supports indexes, you can ask Neli (or Micha on the ML))
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 04:20:24 pm »
First of all, thanks for your reply.
I've been investigating and I think that SQLite wil be fine for my needs, but when I tried to install the SQLite package (that comes whit Laz), recived this msg:

C:\FPC\lazarus\ide\lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Unit sqlitedslaz searched but sqliteds found

Another thing I don't understand is that, for Win32, I found SQLite to be an .exe file, what .dll you mean?
I use win32 and Laz 0.9.11.

Thanks for your help.

Galbi.

chrnobel

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 08:30:15 pm »
I do have the same problem, but under Linux, when trying to install the SQLIte component.

I tried to rename the sqliteeds.pas til sqlitedslaz.pas, but with no succes, so what is the problem, it seems like that somewhere there is a wrong reference?

Besides, I have made an quite large Delphi database (300.000 records!!), network installed with several users, using dbf.
And it is rocksteady, and really fast (I am using Topaz as db engine, much simular to Tdbf, instead of Borlands crappy engine!), and I can select and sort eg. 20.000 out of 300.000 records over the network under 10 seconds.

Christian

TinyPortal © 2005-2018