Recent

Author Topic: Where is EducationLaz on Lazarus 0.9.30?  (Read 8305 times)

HappyLarry

Where is EducationLaz on Lazarus 0.9.30?
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:09:00 pm »
I am probably missing something obvious but I can't find EducationLaz. According to the wiki I should
Go to Packages / Configure installed packages. A dialog opens.
Select educationlaz
I can't see 'Configure Installed packages' . I can see 'Install/Uninstall packages...' but when I look for educationlaz in the right list (or left list)  I can't find it.

Any ideas?
Use Lazarus and Free Pascal and stand on the shoulders of giants . . . very generous giants. Thank you.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Where is EducationLaz on Lazarus 0.9.30?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »
See whether it exists under components folder. If yes, open it manually from the package menu.

HappyLarry

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »
Thank you

From the Lazarus wiki
To install a package one goes to "Components -> Open Package File (.lpk)". In the following dialog you navigate to /usr/share/lazarus/components/sqldb or the corresponding directory under OS X or Windows and choose the sqldblaz.lpk file. If everything works out as planned you will see the Package Manager.

This isn't quite right. There is no folder usr/share/lazarus

I found the folder in usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.30/Components/Education.
I changed the folder permissions to 777. I changed the owner to me.
I navigated in Lazarus with "Package -> Open Package File (.lpk)" but just saw a pink screen.

Looking in the folder with File Browser, there are no .lpk files.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:15:40 pm by HappyLarry »
Use Lazarus and Free Pascal and stand on the shoulders of giants . . . very generous giants. Thank you.

HappyLarry

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:29:48 pm »
Given that this package is supposed to be for Education and that the people likely to use it are probably teachers (and certainly not professional programmers) it would seem sensible to make it easy as possible to use.

Finding a package, loading it, compiling it and rebuilding Lazarus etc is not my idea of easy! This would have to be done on perhaps 20 computers ....

HappyLarry

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:20:21 am »
Found it!

I looked on the Windows version of Lazarus and it was there in Package/install package just as it says in the wiki.

I still can't find it in the Linux version of Lazarus though.

Carver413

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »
after doing a quick search I found it in the components/education in linux so I don't know why you can't find it. I'm using .931 I think. it also shows up in the install packages.

HappyLarry

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »
I can also find the Component / Education folder and it has 28 files in - but none of them are .lpk files, so in Lazarus the menu option Package / open package file(.lpk)  won't work.

It is definitely not in either of the lists in Package / install packages ...

Carver413

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:52:21 pm »
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17721962/01.jpg
well I can't say what is in .930 but in the trunk version .931 it is there. there are instruction's for getting the trunk version in the wiki but it usually takes a bit of tinkering to get things to work. the plus side of it is you can install it in your home so you won't have to fight with permissions and updating only requires svn update. not easy but doable. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2018