Recent

Author Topic: GTK 3.0  (Read 26063 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: GTK 3.0
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »
Pango and cairo and other libs are dependencies for libgtk-3-dev. They will be installed automatically. (Just checked).
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

DimitriyPS

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 09:53:40 am »
I'm still waiting for GTK3. But updates LCL GTK3 are extremely rare (long gone). Usually collects Lazarus GTK3 program successfully. But they are not efficient. Scrolling the mouse leads to a fall. TreeView looks and does not work properly. TOpenGLControl do not support GTK3. The situation with GTK3 still abysmal.

By the way our bugtracker GTK3 not among widgets, although stated as a goal for Lazarus 1.4.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:48 am »
Implementing a new widgetset is hard work, all done by a few (1 or 2 ATM IIRC) volunteers.
You are more then welcome to suggest patches/implementations for GTK3 widgetset.
As a bonus you get your name on the contributers list  O:-)

Bart

DimitriyPS

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 11:16:23 am »
Bart, i understand the difficulties associated with lack of resources. But I have no knowledge that would participate in the development GTK3. However, I am very concerned about this issue.

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »
Bart, i understand the difficulties associated with lack of resources. But I have no knowledge that would participate in the development GTK3. However, I am very concerned about this issue.
1.Gtk3 is alpha state.
2.I don't have enough spare time to commit more stuff to gtk3
3.Gtk3 WS skeleton is setted up and it's pretty clear, so you can for example implement brush and pen in TGtk3DeviceContext (cairo stuff), or MouseWheel event (gtk3widgets) or whatever and send patch if you're in hurry with this.

DimitriyPS

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 10:27:57 am »
Unfortunately I do not have enough experience and knowledge to join the development GTK3 in LCL. I am closely following the update GTK3 in LCL. Trying to compile the demos in GTK3. In the bugtracker no tag GTK3 widget. I will post here some observations on the work of GTK3. I hope this will be useful.
Again compiled the demo. Overall pleased with how GTK3 automatically scaled for HiDPI. But (subjectively) think that the buttons become too (excessively) large. This leads to the fact that the space of the screen is not very rational.
Unfortunately GTK3 still far from at least test use. The program falls on standard manipulation interface. Many controls are not supported.
P.S.: Waiting for GTK3 like nothing else. Pray to God about one...  save us from GTK 4... at least 50 years... otherwise LCL will not have time...

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:16 pm »
Waiting for GTK3 like nothing else. Pray to God about one...

Praying God does not help now, providing code to implement it would help.
If you really wanted this, you would dive into the code, learn and improve it. Clearly you don't want it badly enough.

GTK3 is indeed a very important priority. GTK3 used not one year. Without GTK3 Lazarus loses its appeal for most Linux developers.

That was from your earlier message.
Sure in future GTK3 will be more important than GTK2, just like GTK1 was replaced by GTK2.
Still, it is not a "very important priority", it is only one widgetset among many others. The desktop Linux already has LCL-QT which is well maintained. Other Linux based gadgets like Android require a CustomDrawn widgetset. I think CustomDrawn should be the highest priority now.
When GTK3 finally replaces GTK2, I believe somebody will have enough motivation to complete LCL-GTK3. It has not happened yet.

Dibo

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »
I think CustomDrawn should be the highest priority now.

Just curious. Is CustomDrawn still developed?

DimitriyPS

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 03:12:54 pm »
Clearly you don't want it badly enough.
Some people are able to do a good paint, other people using these paint - paint pictures. That can be done by one person, but the reality is otherwise.

just like GTK1 was replaced by GTK2
This happened in about 1-1,5 years before the appearance of GTK3. So I pray to God
Pray to God about one...  save us from GTK 4... at least 50 years... otherwise LCL will not have time...

The desktop Linux already has LCL-QT which is well maintained.
This actuality qt5? And it does not depend on third-party libraries? And TOpenGLControl works without "crutches"? Still have not heard about this. I would appreciate a link to the information.

Other Linux based gadgets like Android require a CustomDrawn widgetset.
Android and Linux is not the same thing. People who are interested in Android are not interested in Linux for desktop systems. Those who are interested in Linux those not interested in Android.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 03:39:47 pm »
Just curious. Is CustomDrawn still developed?

Slowly yes. I believe contributors would be welcome there, too.

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 04:48:13 pm »
The desktop Linux already has LCL-QT which is well maintained.
This actuality qt5? And it does not depend on third-party libraries? And TOpenGLControl works without "crutches"? Still have not heard about this. I would appreciate a link to the information.

There's no such information since we don't have qt5 C bindings.  LCLQt will always depend on C bindings. Take it or leave it.
Same applies for opengl. Currently qt implementation uses QWidget, and not QGLWidget , so there might be some problems.

Other Linux based gadgets like Android require a CustomDrawn widgetset.
Android and Linux is not the same thing. People who are interested in Android are not interested in Linux for desktop systems. Those who are interested in Linux those not interested in Android.

That's not everyone opinion. Only yours.

DimitriyPS

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 08:00:09 pm »
There's no such information since we don't have qt5 C bindings.
So we no GTK3. That is, do not have any actual widget Linux... maybe it's really an not urgent task. As a developer, you know better.
But I have no doubt: the lack of current widgets:
1. reduces the level and attractiveness of Lazarus as a development tool;
2. reduces the attractiveness and competitiveness of the developed programs in Lazarus.

That's not everyone opinion. Only yours.
Judging by the response I could not (by means translate.google.com) to convey the idea.
Surely you misunderstood me. I talked about the following: developing for Linux and development for Android - they are two different platform, two different target groups of developers. They do not intersect. It's a fact ... he did not is connected with my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:06:42 pm by DimitriyPS »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018