Recent

Author Topic: "componenttreeview.pas" error - Oops! Lazarus has done it again!  (Read 17486 times)

JD

"componenttreeview.pas" error - Oops! Lazarus has done it again!
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:02:56 am »
I need to install several new packages to my IDE & I keep getting the following error: Unable to find file "componenttreeview.pas"! See attached screenshot.  >:(  :o

This sort of thing happens time & again and I wonder why Lazarus has such a recurring problem with file paths and locating files. I always get round it by updating my Lazarus installation & then rebuilding everything but that is no longer an option since the most recent SVN versions can hardly compile the Zeos components & completely fail to compile VirtualTreeView. So I adopted the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle for a fully working installation.

Does anyone know how I can help Lazarus "find" this file that is certainly not missing?   :'(

Thanks.

Lazarus versions:
Lazarus 0.9.29/fpc 2.4.0 svn 26632 (of 14/07/2010) on Windows Vista
Lazarus 0.9.29/fpc 2.4.3 svn 27672 (of 13/10/2010) on Windows XP
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:06:09 am by JD »
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

ivan17

Re: "componenttreeview.pas" error - Oops! Lazarus has done it again!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:32:24 am »
Does anyone know how I can help Lazarus "find" this file that is certainly not missing?   :'(
our car keys and remote controls are "certainly not missing", we just sometimes don't know where to look for them...

go to environment>options>files,  look at dirs with versions (for example: c:\lazarus\fpc\2.4.0\source\),  correct 2.4.0 to the version you got, write C: instead of c: (that one may be fixed already), check the rest.  also try environment>rescan.

what lazarus needs is a tool to purge the system of previous installations.

JD

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:59:50 am »
our car keys and remote controls are "certainly not missing", we just sometimes don't know where to look for them...
What is the correlation between your analogy & what I was describing? A bit condescending, are we???

go to environment>options>files,  look at dirs with versions (for example: c:\lazarus\fpc\2.4.0\source\),  correct 2.4.0 to the version you got, write C: instead of c: (that one may be fixed already), check the rest.  also try environment>rescan.

what lazarus needs is a tool to purge the system of previous installations.
I've already done environment>rescan. In addition, there are NO previous installations & I only have ONE installation per system - might I add that the "plain vanilla" Lazarus 0.9.28 I installed on Ubuntu 10.10 works OK.

The environmentoptions.xml files on both of my Windows installations don't have any spurious entries - they look OK. It must be something else

JD

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:16 am »
PROBLEM SOLVED

Using brute force methods - compile, recompile, reinstall, rebuild. It finally worked!  :D

One of the enduring mysteries of Lazarus package installation.

Perhaps, it is also because I have a HUGE collection of packages installed. I wonder.....

eny

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:11 am »
What I do nowadays is install a new version in parallel with a working version.
And then with the '--pcp=...' startup parameter start with a fresh config folder.
The downside is that I have to recompile the used (3rd party) packages but the number is low.
3rd party packages only get upgraded if they don't compile anymore (i.e. I copy them from the previous working Lazarus config).

The hint from ivan17 about rescanning the FPC source folder fixed one of my problems.
Apparently a problem is created during Lazarus' installation that is fixed by this rescan.

All posts based on: Win10 (Win64); Lazarus 2.0.10 'stable' (x64) unless specified otherwise...

JD

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:28:51 am »
With all these issues, my earnest wish is to see a truly portable version of Lazarus. I had one a while ago but it is now broken. It has become practically impossible to update the old version of FreePascal while retaining the portability option.

This has been done successfully with Turbo Delphi. I have a portable version running located on an external HDD. It works flawlessly. I move it around as often as I want & I have no problems. That's why I also love using the Eclipse IDE for Java. I would love to see the same thing done with Lazarus. I was a beta tester for one such project but unfortunately, it has been abandoned.  :(

greymfm

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:27:30 pm »
I also got the message "componenttreeview.pas not found" trying to install a new package.

My solution:
Enter command line.
A simple "make" in the lazarus path, some time for recompilation and all error messages went away!

Regards,
Christian

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:35 am »
I had the same problem. Solved it by a "Clean up + Build All". NO reinstallations are necessary!
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

JD

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:06:49 pm »
I'm glad I no longer have that problem. I've upgraded twice since then without problems. Hope my good luck streak continues.  :D

TinyPortal © 2005-2018