Recent

Author Topic: When will daily snapshots work again for WinCE?  (Read 9703 times)

PeterT

When will daily snapshots work again for WinCE?
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:59:22 am »
Hello,

During more than one year of using Lazarus Win32->WinCE cross-compiler (many thanks to all the developers, who enabled this), I would like to contribute with some bug reports and suggestions. Before bothering everybody with bugs, which have been solved since then, I wanted to try out the latest versions at first.

But I was not successful because two recent daily snapshots just did not work.
Namely the one from 20100820 compiled a small test application, but when running the application in the device, it has shown not only the main window but also an extra small narrow window at the bottom of the screen.
Today's daily snapshot 20100903 (FPC 2.4.3) does not want to compile for WinCE saying:
C:\...\project1.lpr(1,1) Fatal: Can't find unit Interfaces used by Project1
The folder C:\lazarus\lcl\units\arm-wince seems to be incomplete (the zip is also quite a bit smaller than the previous one).

I do understand that daily snapshots are totally untested.
So I do not want to complain - it seems that the WinCE part of Lazarus is now under development. I just would like to know when should I try again the latest daily snapshot for WinCE (or at least how can I know it - is there any Wiki page, which I should check regularly to see when WinCE should work again?. Does it make a difference if I try to build from SVN?).

Thanks for any help.

felipemdc

• Administrator
Re: When will daily snapshots work again for WinCE?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:34:59 pm »
During more than one year of using Lazarus Win32->WinCE cross-compiler (many thanks to all the developers, who enabled this), I would like to contribute with some bug reports and suggestions.

Welcome =)

Before bothering everybody with bugs, which have been solved since then, I wanted to try out the latest versions at first.

Indeed a good idea, a lot has changed since the last release.

But I was not successful because two recent daily snapshots just did not work.
Namely the one from 20100820 compiled a small test application, but when running the application in the device, it has shown not only the main window but also an extra small narrow window at the bottom of the screen.

This is a known bug which isn't yet solved:

http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=17304

Help finding out which revision caused this would be greatly appreciated, as well as any emulator images which reproduce the issue.

Today's daily snapshot 20100903 (FPC 2.4.3) does not want to compile for WinCE saying:
C:\...\project1.lpr(1,1) Fatal: Can't find unit Interfaces used by Project1
The folder C:\lazarus\lcl\units\arm-wince seems to be incomplete (the zip is also quite a bit smaller than the previous one). I do understand that daily snapshots are totally untested.
So I do not want to complain

Quite the contrary. Reporting that the snapshots are wrong is very important because this can be caused by either:

1> A typo which I made
2> Incompatibility with a compiler version
3> A typo from another developer
4> Another developer wrote some code without testing with WinCE
5> The snapshot server is broken

In this case with your report I found that it was case 4 and I just fixed this. If you hadn't reported I wouldn't find this out so soon.

I would just add that you should also test the snapshot built for FPC 2.4.0 then we can known if this is a compiler version incompatibility of the WinCE LCL really isn't compilable.

- it seems that the WinCE part of Lazarus is now under development. I just would like to know when should I try again the latest daily snapshot for WinCE (or at least how can I know it

Tomorrow

- is there any Wiki page, which I should check regularly to see when WinCE should work again?.

It should always work. If it doesn't work it is an accident, which is an unpredictable event, so there is no use for a wiki page for that. If it doesn't compile, just report.

Does it make a difference if I try to build from SVN?).

Then you don't have to wait until tomorrow to get the fix.

PeterT

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:12:05 am »
Felipe,

Many thanks for kind and motivating answers.

I tried the daily snapshot from 5th of September.
I was able to compile, but the result again shows an extra small window. The screen of my device looks exactly like the picture in the mentioned bug report (my device has only 320x240).
I do not have an image of the OS to use with the emulator, just as well as the original poster of that bug report. I have an image of the OS used for the real device, but the emulator was not able to use it. I will ask the manufacturer whether they have or they can create an image for the emulator.
I think that the problem occurs in Windows CE, not in Windows Mobile.

I can see in the emulator (with Windows Mobile 5.0 image) that there the main window of the application covers the whole screen, while in my case the main window does not cover the whole screen and there is one more extra window. But maybe that extra window "wanted to be" the main window and the "normal" window should not be there at all.

I will try to test this problem in more detail, maybe also using the procedure from your link (to know when it happened). Unfortunately I have no time during this week, so maybe during the weekend or next week.

I will let you know if I get some useful information out of my tests.

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:37:10 am »
I tried the daily snapshot from 5th of September.

Why 5th September? That is very old.

I fixed the bug in 15th September. http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=17304

Please try the latest version.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018